Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I am stuck with my new book, which I told you all about in my "Help with plot, please" thread. I started the prologue with the two protagonists as children, but after about 200 words my juice gave out. So I decided to started the actual book where the children are adults now, and the fire happens. But I wasn't sure if I should write a chapter or two before the fire happens, or open the book with the fire. Thoughts?

• Like 3

Write a chapter as a prologue, Sarah.  It will introduce the readers to the source of the tragic circumstances that they are struggling with.  I hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you can, I highly recommend reading Story Genius, by Lisa Cron. It's a fantastic resource that's unlike any other plotting/outlining book I've ever read. It helps you figure out how to create character-driven stories that are not just a string of things happening, but where the plot points connect to the MC's emotional core. Story Genius, alongside KM Weiland's Creating Character Arcs, are brilliant tools for plotting.

There are many other great books on story structure and plotting, but these two address the issue of how your characters' journey can be in the driving seat of your plot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sarah

I would suggest - as the others have - starting with the fire. You can write this either as a prologue or 1st Chapter which ever you prefer.  If you want to then go forward or back in time you can do this simply by writing underneath the chapter heading the date.

In Demon of Sphinx'  I started with a prologue set in 1992 then went back to 1982 for Part One of the book where the main characters were teenagers. i ended Part One with a major incident.  Then I jumped to 1992 for Part Two. Part Two concluded by ending with the prologue scene towards the end.  I

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another option would be to make the first half of the novel look like it is focused in a different direction and then have the fire occur midway.

If you begin with a prologue before the fire you can probably get the audience to care about the characters. However, placing the fire in the middle gives you time to show the character's pre-fire hopes, expectations, plans and perspectives on life and how the fire derails all these.

This will make the impact on the reader that much more intense: they will not only know the characters but will be rooting for them to succeed in their endeavoures. Then the fire forces everyone, reader included, to rethink their priorities and expand the lens through which they are seeing the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, everyone! Thanks for your responses!
I decided (I think, it might change) to start Chap. 1 with a birthday party for Charity. Chap. 2 starts with fire. Thoughts?

• Like 1

If you start wit the birthday party - what would make it stand out - how would it link to the fire?

Could the birthday party in some way be where the firs starts?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamrock said:

If you start wit the birthday party - what would make it stand out - how would it link to the fire?

Could the birthday party in some way be where the firs starts?

Yes! That's what I'm doing. They're having the birthday party, and when the guests have left, they are inside, just hanging out. Someone intentionally sets fire to the house. Chap. 2 starts with fire.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

If all else fails, blame it on the robot. 

Uhhhh. . .which robot?