Any Other Christian Critiquing Sites?

Lydia

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know on the ACFW critique loops, they had the ability to attach a Word document, and versions of Word from 2000 on have the ability to track changes. Anything you delete or add shows up red or blue with your user name associated, and comments that you enter show up on the right.

Not sure how feasible attachments are here, but the functionality of Word is better than anything else I've seen out there.

Those ACFW loops were monitored Google or yahoo Groups. Only those in a particular critique group were privy to the excerpts posted there, and the members sort of policed whether you adhered to the '2500 words at a time' or 'a chapter at a time' rules, and the 2 critiques for 1 submit rule.

Rebecca, would that be a viable solution, to put a launching ground here, where people can request to join a private critique loop, and the site admin could add them to the Google Group as time permitted?

I'll post here and (and also PM all who expressed an interest) once I have everything on place.

I hope I'm not too late to catch this train! I'm a total noob to this site, having come over here from Scribophile to see what Christian authors say to one another.

I've been pleased with the crits I've gotten at Scribophile. What's lacking there is a crit from a distinctly Christian perspective. I mostly get critiques on elementary things (and that's welcome!). But, the novel "runs" on explicit Biblical concepts, issues, controversies, and ethical challenges. It could be read (I hope) by nonChristians who would find the Christian angle of the character/plot to be informative to them. But, someone reading en famile, so to speak, would understand more of what's going on.

Hence, my interest in feedback from overtly Christian readers/critics.

I've been wondering for awhile...

Why the critique section of this site is so inactive. I love this site but I have to admit, posting my work only to get 0 reviews, or even 1 or 2 is disappointing to say the least. If there's another site for Christian critiquing, then please, fill me in.

I'll still continue to post here as it's a wonderful site overall and the moderators are amazing and have helped me tremendously. But I'd like more feedback on my work. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Hi, I joined the ACFW (America Christian Fiction Writers. It has a great critique loop with lots of feedback.

Mary L Ball

• 3 weeks later...

@Love @Garrett Griesenbeck @Lydia @Carol Peterson @Victoria

I'm still working on cosmetics, but have posted the new private critique groups section. Please feel free to start a group there. Since this is brand new, there may be questions or quirks. If you find any of either, please let me know by starting a new thread in the support forum.

Enjoy! :)

Love,

I'd categorize my novel in the works as

Hi Lydia,

I was wondering the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that there are very few readers of young adult fiction on this site. So that's why only a few people critique my work. But I've noticed other works have only gotten a few responses, too.

I am lucky to belong to a Christian writing critique group, but it only meets twice a month. I would like to find an online Christian critique group, but when I look on Facebook all of the groups are closed. If anyone knows of a group that is accepting new members, I would also be interested in joining.

Love,

I would categorize my novel in the works as being for young adults as well. I am still fairly new to this site. Where do you post your work to be critiqued by others, and how much of it do you usually present for critique at any one time? Thanks!

Hi Orange Mike,

I post a chapter or a scene in the Writer's Workshop. It should be less than 2000 words. As long as you have replied to at least 10 posts, you should be able to post yours there too. Before your scene, tell what you would like critiqued. Sometimes I ask for my dialogue to be critiqued or description. Be specific.

I'll be on the lookout for your post. Best of luck!

I've been wondering for awhile...

Why the critique section of this site is so inactive. I love this site but I have to admit, posting my work only to get 0 reviews, or even 1 or 2 is disappointing to say the least. If there's another site for Christian critiquing, then please, fill me in.

I'll still continue to post here as it's a wonderful site overall and the moderators are amazing and have helped me tremendously. But I'd like more feedback on my work. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Would it be possible to set up a Critique night/party, where writers can work together at the same time. Maybe something for a weekend or during a week's time? So many people are so busy. I know I'm new, but it seems we should do what we can to help each other. I will look after the 28th since we are heading out on vacation to offer a bit of help where I can.

Hi Swimkick. I love your idea! If you check the new critique groups, group one, we are trying to get a new group started. (Love and I so far.) Please come join our conversation! We'd love to hear your suggestions. I'd love the kind of personal feedback your writer's night would provide!

Hi Swimkick. I love your idea! If you check the new critique groups, group one, we are trying to get a new group started. (Love and I so far.) Please come join our conversation! We'd love to hear your suggestions. I'd love the kind of personal feedback your writer's night would provide!

Sure. I am still learning my way around.

If we set up a weekend, Friday through Sunday for Critique Time every other month it will be less overwhelming for those bogged down. For someone with more than 2-3 chapters, maybe it can be critiqued by 2 different people for the protection of the writer and to reduce the amount of time critiquing. People of the same genre probably are the best to critique work of another; however, it may give a different view from someone in a different genre. Could we sign in to a the section for critique parties/weekends so there is a list of who participated? lynnmosier, could you have a form for everyone to electronically sign their names regarding the protection of writers and plagiarism? These are just some thoughts.

I would suggest making the group private. Include the plagiarism statement in the group description, then specifying that by applying to join, you agree to those terms.

Seems like the least complicated way to handle it.

As a writer, I have always kept electronic and hard copies of my drafts that are dated. If someone were to try to plagiarize my work, I have evidence of it originating with me. I also keep any notes from my research and date them.

You're right. You can't be too careful.

I think we should critique other's who write in our genres. I write mainly sci-fi-fantasy, fantasy, fairy tales, children's/tweens, and YA. Perhaps you could start a group for those who write non fiction.

I may be the lone writer on this, but week days are better for me. Unlike most, I have lots of time on my hands, but my husband works 12 hour shifts, so I hardly see him through the week. Weekends (when he's not working Saturday) is our only time together.

Archived