Any Other Christian Critiquing Sites?

Lydia

I too generally spend an hour or longer doing critiques, in an effort to be helpful. I think it's tremendously helpful to have a place for that here, but hard to know how to be helpful in individual cases without "knowing" the person better, which takes a while, especially when lots of folks prefer to hang back and not join the conversations.

That's perfectly fine. I often lurk myself. But it just makes it harder to know how to help an individual person in their craft.

The previous special interest "groups" were a fabulous idea but they continued to fizzle which is a shame. Rebecca asked if we wanted groups up again. I'd be interested in participating but since I'm already heading up 3 critique groups already outside of this group plus helping my pastor edit his 3 books, I might not be tremendously involved in more critiquing. But sharing info and encouragement? Yup! I'm there.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Victoria,

You're very kind. I understand completely how, "life," can get in the way.:rolleyes: I have a lot of time on my hands, but I know that's not the case for most people.

Thanks for suggesting some other Christian sites. :) I will have to check some of those out. I love it here though and have no plans to leave. I just thought I would get more feedback on a more active Christian critique forum, if there was one. Glad to hear there is.

Thanks again!

Hi Accord,

I get what your saying. I think I unintentionally offended someone with an inline critique I did a while back. I try to be, "Gently honest," in my crits, but how can they help if they're not constructive?

I know I want honest feedback that will help my story and my skills as a writer and I really appreciate it if someone takes their precious time to read and crit my story. Yes, I like to hear what's working and what they liked about it, but I also need to know where the mistakes are and how my work could be improved.

Maybe some writers don't want that. If I ran into that a lot, I wouldn't want to crit much either.

Poetry is a whole other venue!!!:eek: I write a little, but it's always the rhyming kind. :) Thanks for chiming in here!

Great! :) What kind of writing do you do? If we get a list of interested parties, maybe we can create small groups based in interest/genre.

Awesome! I’d love to see how this will work out! :D

All fiction. Mostly YA. Scifi/Fantasy. Romance. Suspense. Horror. Comedy.

If we got enough interested parties would this group be here on CW?

Hi Rebecca,

I think a small private group is a great idea if there's enough interest. Thanks for offering to set one up! :) I write fiction. Some children's/tweens, some YA to adult. Romance, sci-fi, fantasy, fairytales. (I don't use cursing or sex in my work, just so you know.)

Actually--one other thing Rebecca...

I am in charge of getting people into online critique groups for our local Christian Writing organization. We get quite a few people who do not live close to us geographically so spending the money for the annual membership "just" so they can be in a group is daunting to some.

In those cases, I often refer people here so that they can at least be part of a community of Christian writers, even if they don't participate in the workshop here. If there were individual critiquing groups by genre, I would be happy, happy, happy to send folks here more often and they might even show up here more often if they knew there was something for their specific genre.

I'll keep tabs on this thread and share the developments with folks who contact me.

Hi Amy,

Amen to the leadership! ;)

I've been disappointed, but didn't want to be the complainer in the crowd. It looks like others have been having the same issues though.

I agree whole-heartedly with you. Giving real (and time consuming) critiques, only to get unhappy remarks in response would curtail my interest in helping others achieve a better story/poem too.

WhiIe I don't think it's necessary to be brutal, I do believe you have to be honest. I'm new to this process, but I'd say I'm gently honest. I'll tell you what's working and what's not, for me. Maybe some people don't know what it means to critique and critiqued. A prompt in etiquette may be what's needed on the critique form.

Rebecca has also made a lovely offer of starting a small private critique group for those wanting (and needing) real constructive feedback. I don't know if you're interested or have the time, (and I understand if you don't)but perhaps guidelines could be laid out from the start.

Thanks for all your input!

All fiction. Mostly YA. Scifi/Fantasy. Romance. Suspense. Horror. Comedy.

If we got enough interested parties would this group be here on CW?

Sounds good! And yes, I would host the group(s) here on CW.

Hi Rebecca,

I think a small private group is a great idea if there's enough interest. Thanks for offering to set one up! :) I write fiction. Some children's/tweens, some YA to adult. Romance, sci-fi, fantasy, fairytales. (I don't use cursing or sex in my work, just so you know.)

Sounds like there may be a genre match with Victoria. What do you two think?

Actually--one other thing Rebecca...

I am in charge of getting people into online critique groups for our local Christian Writing organization. We get quite a few people who do not live close to us geographically so spending the money for the annual membership "just" so they can be in a group is daunting to some.

In those cases, I often refer people here so that they can at least be part of a community of Christian writers, even if they don't participate in the workshop here. If there were individual critiquing groups by genre, I would be happy, happy, happy to send folks here more often and they might even show up here more often if they knew there was something for their specific genre.

I'll keep tabs on this thread and share the developments with folks who contact me.

Sounds great, Carol! :) Thank you!

It sounds like this will work out quite well. Let me do a bit of digging and see what kind of setup would work best.

Not to detour this topic, but I've noticed that the most posting activity is made by new members saying "hello". Then... not much.

I only bring this up because it seems like this site is generating of traffic in, but not ultimately to the critique forum. I understand that newbies need to have a certain number of postings before they can see it (which is a great policy), but unless I'm not seeing things right, many newbies don't seem to get that far.

I'm not sure what can be done about it. Perhaps it's just the normal ebb and flow of a forum?

I find that I have far less time than I used to. I used to (a year or two ago) critique a whole lot of stuff, even if it wasn't my cup of tea.

A few things have contributed to my backing off my frequency of critiquing. First, I have so little time. I am hardly ever on here any more, and so I check the critique forum very infrequently. Secondly, when I do go over there, I look for something that grabs me and makes me want to read it. If I read the first paragraph or two and just don't get it or am not interested, I don't want to critique it because I don't think that would be fair to the writer. Finally, I don't know what folks want. Some folks want a critique of their style, some want a critique of mechanics, some want critique of the content/themes, and some want all or none of the above. If all you want is feedback on the plot and/or characters in a story and I give you a detailed analysis of how the dialogue was boring, I may have wasted both of our time.

I would suggest that folks wanting something specific in a critique ask for it (and your cats in space did that). I have not had the chance to look at your posts yet, but I will try to get to them in the next few days.

Hi Scott,

I know time is an issue for so many, and I completely understand. I also don't usually crit a piece unless it interests me. I don't think it's fair to the writer either.

I did ask for specifics when I started posting my story, but didn't get any answers to those specific questions, so by scene 5-6 of my cat story, I quit asking. :( Not what I was hoping for. Thanks for offering to look at them, if you have the time. Please don't feel bad if you don't. Thanks! :)

I just wanted to post an update that I haven't forgotten about implementing the small critique groups. I'm looking into a few different options now and seeing what would be the best fit for out site.

I'll post here and (and also PM all who expressed an interest) once I have everything on place. :)

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry it's been a while. In-line critiques allow you to go in and highlight the text, then strike through a word or sentence(by using the delete button or the D letter) if you think it needs to be changed or deleted. Then you can click between the text to open a new box and add your suggestions/thoughts.

I'm a member on a secular writing site and love this critique feature, but sadly there's not much for me, as a Christian to choose from, so I do very little there.

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry it's been a while. In-line critiques allow you to go in and highlight the text, then strike through a word or sentence(by using the delete button or the D letter) if you think it needs to be changed or deleted. Then you can click between the text to open a new box and add your suggestions/thoughts.

I'm a member on a secular writing site and love this critique feature, but sadly there's not much for me, as a Christian to choose from, so I do very little there.

The closest thing I can think of is to highlight the text, click reply, then edit it in your response using colors, bold, etc. That should give you close to the effect you're looking for.

To all: I have a quote request in for some software to provide the private critique groups. I'll continue to keep you posted. :)

Rebecca said: I have a quote request in for some software to provide the private critique groups. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Oh, dear! This will cost you money personally, Rebecca? Ouch. I am at a loss for what to say. Perhaps you need a button to donate to your site? You and this site are a treasure.

Archived