Any Other Christian Critiquing Sites?

Lydia

I've been wondering for awhile...

Why the critique section of this site is so inactive. I love this site but I have to admit, posting my work only to get 0 reviews, or even 1 or 2 is disappointing to say the least. If there's another site for Christian critiquing, then please, fill me in.

I'll still continue to post here as it's a wonderful site overall and the moderators are amazing and have helped me tremendously. But I'd like more feedback on my work. Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flp, Lydia is referring to the workshop/critique forum.

Lydia, it used to be very active. So many that used it have moved on but not to other critique sites. Just on their own. I wish I could help but, realistically, I don't have time for it. So I'm sorry I'm not able to help out. I'm really not aware of other critique sites. Do you have a local writers group?

Hello Lynn: I'm trying to find my way in this new site still. I published 4 papers and I don't see them listed anywhere. I moved from another writers sight this morning. How do I categorize my articles - how do I find Biblically oriented articles and other authors that write on the same subject? Glad to join you. flp.

Hi Lydia,

I was wondering the same thing. I've come to the conclusion that there are very few readers of young adult fiction on this site. So that's why only a few people critique my work. But I've noticed other works have only gotten a few responses, too.

I am lucky to belong to a Christian writing critique group, but it only meets twice a month. I would like to find an online Christian critique group, but when I look on Facebook all of the groups are closed. If anyone knows of a group that is accepting new members, I would also be interested in joining.

We hide the workshop until members have at least 10 posts. We do this to protect the work of our members -- but unfortunately that's a double edged sword. Hiding it means less people see it, which means less responses.

If you found a few members on here that wanted to start a small critique group, I'd be happy to set up a small private forum for this purpose. Please just let me know. :)

Thanks Lynn,

I know you do so much already, you don't have time to critique. I always appreciate your faithful replies. :)

I already checked, but we don't have a writer's group where I live. (small town) But I'm guessing those who've moved on from here probably do. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi Love,

Thanks for being the one person to follow my cat story. (I finally have scene 5 and 6 posted.) It's nice that you're in a critique group, but it sounds like that isn't enough.

I just read Rebecca's offer and it's a nice one. Maybe there will be enough interest to start one.

Hi Lydia,

I'll check out your Cat story now. I would be interested in a private critique group. That may draw more interest since not everyone would be able to see the critiques. People would be more open to sharing and critiquing. Let me know.

I try to keep up with what's posted in the critique forum, but I've been pretty busy with a book release. However, I have noticed an overall decrease in activity there. I think it might have to do with when the site was upgraded. I know I lost all my critique points and had to ask for a couple just to post something there. I wonder if many others lost theirs and never bothered to pursue the issue?

If you don't have access to a local Christian writers group, you might consider getting a secular one up and running--post a notice at the library or local college. Or ask around at the churches in your town. One writer at multiple churches might be enough to form a group.

Or post a notice here, calling out for a few committed writers who can band together off site (but still online).

The critique section here used to be quite busy. I stopped critiqueing because a few people who posted only wanted to hear "I love this" comments. No matter how kind your feedback is, it is not helpful if the writer at the other end is not at a point to hear them and be encouraged. My goal now is to be helpful in other ways (especially praying, which of course is the most important and helpful thing any of us can do).

This site is awesome. I love you Rebecca (and moderators) for all you do for us, helping us connect and grow our craft.

If nothing else, I'd suggest to just keep critiquing other people's work in the workshop and hope for reciprocity. Do unto others, etc.

Best wishes to all in their writing!

Hi Carol,

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. I can see why you quit critiquing if some of the writers just wanted a pat on the pack. I prefer constructive crits. and those are the kind I like to give, gentle honesty. :)

Yes, Rebecca and Lynn are awesome and so helpful! I love being here. Thanks for the encouragement!

Lydia

Unfortunately, I’ve been absent here due to personal issues and have also added to the lack of activity in the critiquing workshop. My deep apologies. CW is a fantastic site and I do love to post shorts in the workshops every now and then and have gotten great feedback there. ;)

I agree, though, it seems since the upgrade there hasn’t been much activity. On a another note, I also noticed that while some receive 3-5 critiques others barely get one. Maybe that’s why some don’t come to the workshop? Wish there was a system that could balance that out maybe?

I don’t know of many Christian critiquing sites. There is FaithWriters.com. I’ve never been too sure how their critiquing system works, though. And there’s Kingdom Writers, a yahoo group. I’ve had my work critiqued there before. It was many moons ago but the last time I was there they seemed active. Not sure if they’re the same now.

Another group I know of but it’s not a Christian site. Critique Circle. They are extremely active. Some receive around 5-10 critiques a week. Then after critiquing week is over, another batch of stories are moved in for review and the cycle continues. I used to post longer pieces there a lot. I’ve found that most of the reviewers can be pretty helpful. :)

I stopped critiqueing because a few people who posted only wanted to hear "I love this" comments. No matter how kind your feedback is, it is not helpful if the writer at the other end is not at a point to hear them and be encouraged.

Oh, yes. I've run into this, too. I try to apologize upfront for my candor, but it seems like certain people get upset if they don't hear what they want to hear. I was close to giving up critiquing, but decided to be more choosy about what material to critique.

Also, I just won't critique poetry - period. I'm not a poet, often don't get it, and would thus be a terrible choice to provide any meaningful feedback. :confused:

Yes to everything Carol wrote above, including love to our leadership here. :)

Lydia, I'm so sorry you haven't gotten the number of responses you were hoping for. That's got to be disappointing. Seems to me that Lydia is really looking for feedback on her work, but there does seem to be some confusion or disagreement from others about the purpose of the critique forum. Like Carol, I've been given the impression that some people who post their work are only looking for compliments. Not too long ago, the subject of critiques here came up on another thread, and another person who has been around here for a while shared a similar viewpoint. Also, it seems that some people who respond on the critique forum may think that the forum is for sharing our work so that it can be read (not for critique), and that the correct response to reading it is basically to thank the writer for the free reading material and to pay the writer a compliment. My understanding, on the other hand, is that the critique forum is to be used for getting/giving useful feedback that's provided in a way that's intended to be encouraging, helpful, and God-serving. (Maybe I'm one of the ones who is misunderstanding the purpose? :) )

I don't critique here as often as I used to, either, and there are a couple of reasons (in addition to the "compliments only" view) that have affected my decision not to crique as much. It wasn't unusual for me to spend well over an hour on a critique--sometimes a couple of hours. I really liked to try to be helpful--just my opinions of course, and much of what goes into a critique is subjective. When I'd spend that amount of time, then learn that the person who posted was no longer following the thread she had started not very long beforehand and/or was no longer interested in critiques, but had not added that info to the thread, that made me think that I hadn't spent my God-given gift of time well. When another member posted saying what she felt was incorrect with my critiques--twice, that also turned me off of critiquing here some. (The original poster is asking for a critique of what she posts; the critiquers--at least this critiquer--is not.) I think we need to try to stay away from that kind of thing and simply share our opinions of the posted work rather than respond to critiques with "Why did you say that? I think you're wrong" kinds of comments. (Maybe for things such as grammar, politely saying we disagree is okay, but not for subjective input.) Such comments can (and did) dissuade a person from trying to be helpful by providing critiques.

I wonder if it would be helpful for a mod to add a bit more to the information at the critique forum--more about the purpose and about expected etiquette? To an extent, it seems it should be enough to simply say it's for critques, and that it would be a given that we want to be kind, but maybe the additional info is actually neeed?

Lydia, I did take a look at the critique forum Friday and read your latest post from your cat story several hours before you started this thread. Seems like a sweet story! I thought about some things I would write in a critique of the sample you provided. But after considering my schedule for that day and how God would have me spend my time, and considering some things that happened when I critiqued some other times here before (though not your work), I ended up sensing that God wanted me to work on the writing He had set before me to do instead of critiquing yours. Maybe a little more waiting will allow people's schedules to free up some, and you'll see more critiques? I hope you and everyone who is looking for input will be able to get what you're looking for.

:) Amy

Archived