Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Sarah Daffy

Help with plot, please

11 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

But how do you evoke emotion in your readers and characters?

10 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

How do you make your audience like your characters?

I think these are the age old questions!!

My two cents:

1) Make your characters well-rounded people with real strengths, and perhaps more importantly, real flaws. Readers will not empathize with anyone who is “too perfect”.

2) Even in a fantastical environment, put them in recognizable emotional situations - a fight with a friend, a death in the family, a struggle to do what’s right when peer pressure says otherwise, etc.

3) Show, don’t tell, what they’re going though. 

If your audience sees your characters as relatable, real people, they will usually like and empathize with them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PenName said:

3) Show, don’t tell, what they’re going though. 

How do you do that? Like commentary instead of dialogue?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sarah Daffy said:

How do you do that? Like commentary instead of dialogue?

I agree with @PenName. She had great advice. Here, let me give you the advice of a professional editor. It you still have questions let us know. 😊 

And some emotion stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! You all have been so helpful. I can't wait to write now!

• Like 4

Also, you might place both of those questions up in the forums. They are hidden here, and there are some amazing people here that can really help! I've asked a ton of these questions myself since I came here. Everyone is great! 😊

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sarah Daffy said:

How do you make your audience like your characters?

While that's a bit of a hard question, I guess maybe the best way to make people like them is to make them characters that your readers can relate to. Just give them really likable personalities and try to make them someone your readers can really feel for. Characters I like in a good story always feel like old friends to me by the time I'm through; that's what you might want to aim for when you consider creating your characters.

• Like 2

I was a little late to this conversation, and it looks like PenName & Alley already had some good things to say about the matter, but I hope I was helpful a little. :)

• Like 2

Guest Igor Evgen

It is written,

The Righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and
Merciful men are taken away, none considering that the
Righteous is taken away from the evil to come. He shall enter into Peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his Uprightness.

(Isaiah 57:1-2)

Rather than suggest something, it can be fun to start with questions, because you can go in a lot of different directions with this.

What are their characters like? (Seems like you might want a contrast, which can play off one another, either complementing one another or conflicting with one another.)

Is one moody? Optimistic? Resourceful? Idealistic? Fragile? Independent? Unable to take instruction? Angry? A seeker of meaning? There are lots more character questions to consider.

What happens immediately after the disaster? Moving in with family? If so, does a family member have a "favorite"? Foster care? Living on the streets? Are they separated for a while, temporarily having separate stories? Influenced/taken in by a "friendly" stranger, who may not turn out to be so friendly? Hiding from somebody? There are lots more possible story situations, because the world is huge, and they're so very small.

If you start with just a couple picks from each of these simple lists, the whole story direction changes, and that's before even considering the spiritual paths each one will take. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Thanks for this. The 2nd video was very helpful. It is so easy to go over the top when writing emotions. 

• Like 1