Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

My suspense/thriller fiction is not based on my real life

Posted (edited)

My suspense/thriller fiction is not based on my real life.

I have written many suspense thrillers, containing violence.  They are all fiction.  They are not based on anything which has ever happened, and I don’t expect to ever happen, in my real life.  The problem is that my sister has read some them, and she thinks that I want to engage in the criminal activities that I’ve written about.  She doesn’t believe me when I say that I don’t.

In some of my stories, girls who are in their teens, are violently attacked.  My sister actually believes this means that I might attack my grand nieces, who are in their teens; so she is keeping them away from me. 

That just isn’t necessary.  My feelings toward my grand nieces are warm and affectionate.  I’d never want to harm them in any way; or anybody else I know in the real world.  Not even those to who I have feelings of hostility.  They’re people who I want to avoid, and hopefully not speak to.  That is all. 

There is a major gap between my fiction and the real world.  I have no trouble knowing the difference.  My stories are exciting.  My actual life is not.  I’d like to keep things that way.  I am a law abiding, responsible citizen, who has no desire to be otherwise.

My sister wants to arrange for a meeting between the two of us, and the Pastor of my Church.  I think that’s a good idea. 

I've known the Pastor for years.  I consider him a friend.  Before he was ordained as a pastor, he had a career as a Federal Law Enforcement Agent, working for the Post Office, as a "Postal Inspector".  That means he knows what to look for, to see if anyone is or isn't dangerous.

He could also ask members of the Congregation, where I've been a member for more than 50 years, if they've ever heard of me harming anyone, or thought that I was in any way dangerous.

I hope I won’t have to wait too long before we have that meeting.  I want to work things out with my sister and get things back to normal with everyone in my family.  Especially my grand nieces.

I ask everyone to pray that we will work things out.  In Jesus Name.

Thank you.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Have you ever considered using a pen name?

On other writers websites I use the pen name MrBillyD, or MrBillyDA, or Yesmrbill, or other variations.  Most of the people I know, outside the internet, have no idea that I'm a writer.  What's happening with my sister, shows that maybe keeping it a secret, has been the right thing for me to do.

• Like 1

William, I just saw this; I certainly hope and pray that things will be worked out between you and your sister and your nieces. :(

I don't think that is any reason for her to keep your nieces away from you. Just because you have written some stories that may feature subject matter of that sort, it most certainly doesn't mean that you yourself are violent or aggressive in that way! I'm sure you two will be able to straighten things out. 

4 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

. Just because you have written some stories that may feature subject matter of that sort, it most certainly doesn't mean that you yourself are violent or aggressive in that way! 

Thank you Erin.  The only thing I want to do with my beautiful and charming grand-nieces, is give them gift cards, that are not too expensive, for holiday presents.  

Another thing.  Why would anyone who's thinking of doing violent and illegal activities, post something that might be incriminating, on the Internet, where who knows how many people might read it; including Law Enforcement Officers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Why would anyone who's thinking of doing violent and illegal activities, post something that might be incriminating, on the Internet, where who knows how many people might read it; including Law Enforcement Officers?

Absolutely! A person would have to be a total jerk to do that.

5 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

Why would anyone who's thinking of doing violent and illegal activities, post something that might be incriminating, on the Internet, where who knows how many people might read it; including Law Enforcement Officers?

There are people who do just that. It may be a pathology.

But I'd seek God's wisdom in this area. Persist in doing well and pray against unreasonable fear.

• Like 1

The way I see it, is that when I'm writing suspense thriller fiction, or other works that people like my sister find disturbing, I'm like an actor who portrays villains.  He may make an entire career of portraying very dangerous people, and be very believable. 

However, when he's not on stage or on screen, he might actually be a law abiding, responsible citizen, and a good neighbor.  He might even be a guy who people like having around.  Beyond that, he might be a born again, committed Christian, who's an active member of his Church, and attends Sunday morning Bible Studies. 

That's the way I am.  Also, during the Bible Studies, I'm the one who keeps the Pastor on his toes; but in a pleasant, friendly and respectful way.

• Like 1