Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

If I download MS Word, is it password protected like word online is? The way it stands now, I can't get in and this means I can't write. There is another program similar to word. Is that accepted by world-be publishers? I don't recall the name of it. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Do you mean Libre Office? A lot of people use Libre Office Writer instead of MS Word. I've also heard of people using Google Docs, but I've never seriously tried it.

MS Word is a program that must be paid for. With a purchased license it is the gold standard most publishers, agents, writers and distributors work with. That does not mean it is the best, or only, choice for you, only that it is widely used. Both OpenOffice and Libre Office have word processing programs that are just as good (speaking from personal experience). They provide all the necessary functionality and are free. For the poorer among us that is a nice feature. The key to whatever writing program you choose is to make sure your files get saved in the proper format. The one format that is most widely accepted is the .docx format. This is the native format of MS Word.

Whatever you end up choosing keep in mind that in the end you have to be comfortable using it or you will find you won't write much. If the program is too clunky, difficult to figure out or too overwhelming it will hinder creativity. To overcome this hurdle I suggest finding someone nearby you who knows how to use a particular program and is willing to help you learn it. Use the program they use and then, if you run into trouble, you'll have nearby support to get you out of a jam. I was a professional trainer long ago and this was my advice then too.

Google Docs is an online word processing option that is free and requires no software to be installed except for a web browser. It is optimized for Chrome but can easily run in Firefox, Edge, Opera, etc. We find it great for collaborative work. Since my wife and I are a writing team, for both of us to be able to see and edit the same passage in real time on two different computers is critical. That, plus the fact that our translators are on another continent and we can see how they are progressing without passing files back and forth, make Google Docs a smart choice for us.

Having said all this a word of warning about Google Docs. Nothing in the corporate world is free. The trade off of using Google as your writing/editing platform will mean that Google staff will have full access to your files and content. Since we all know how rabidly anti-conservative they are that may not be such a wise idea. I cannot say just how much they would interfere but I would just say, use their platform with caution and always have backups of your work kept on your computer.

All the best in your writing endeavors. May the Lord bless you as you express His heart in words.

Did you pay for your copy?  If so, you can password protect a document if you'd like.

And Word is pretty much the only format that Publishers accept.  Google docs, etc. just don't get accepted.

Word Online is free but does require you to log in to use it. All you need is a Microsoft account (which is also free). If you don't yet have a free account, you can create one and use that going forward.

image.thumb.png.5f09c934170d383cfa3245ccb56ef1b0.png

image.png.6145a39b4ba9dee7da00c1ade7d7aa6b.png

• Like 1

If Word Online is like Excel Online, there are limitations to what it will do. However, for most writing and most writers, I would think it would be fine.