Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
mightyriver

writing exercises

hey everyone does anyone know of any writing exercises to do.? i think of only thinking upon something and just writing about it. or is that what writers do ? lol 😆 

• Like 2

You could try the 5 minute writing challenge started by @Sophie by filling an empty document spreadsheet with whatever you think up in 5 minutes. Or you could just write what comes to mind.

• Like 1

Or reading a really good book or watching a really good movie inspires me to write something good.  :)

13 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

I find that listening to music helps when I write.

funny because that is what i am doing at the moment and thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

There are also writing prompts or finish the story games. Always fun! 😊

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alley said:

There are also writing prompts or finish the story games. Always fun! 😊

where would i come across those ? 😅

• Like 1

Writing prompts can be googled, and Pinterest has a ton! Finish the story... Six-grade language arts books, friendly writers, or... I might actually need to look into that.

Then there is always the storytelling (also called role-playing). You and a writing buddy have some characters. You have yours, and they have theirs, and you go back and forth to make a story. You know @Rebecca is actually in the process of making a conservative-friendly roleplaying site. It would be worth checking out when she launches it. 

• Like 2

One writing exercise that I have heard of (but haven't tried myself) is to keep a journal BUT instead of writing a grocery list of what happened in your day, you write about one thing that happened. The emotion, what you felt/heard/saw/tasted/smelt, stuff like that. 

Other exercises are, like what has already been suggested, writing prompts. Reedsy has quite a few: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/. They also have short story ideas: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story-ideas/. I have also subscribed to their weekly writing competition which comes with five prompts every Friday. 

Writing flash fiction and short stories are always excellent writing exercises, partly because the entire process from plotting-writing-editing can be completed in a week, and also because having a low word-limit forces you to write tight. 

Hope this helps :) 

• Like 1

Just throwing another suggestion into the mix: another great source of writing prompts is the weekly Writing Excuses podcast with Dan Wells, Brandon Sanderson and Mary Robinette Kowal.

They try to keep the episodes at only around 15 minutes long. They'll discuss a particular writing issue, and at the end of each episode, starting midway through season two, they have a writing prompt. I'm working through those as part of a course I'm doing.

I agree with @Claire Tucker: this is a great question.

• Like 2