Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

The Clues To A Great Story

This is very helpful and informative; I like the Ugly Duckling concept they use as an example; when you think about it, the story makes a pretty good guideline. 

• Like 1

Thank you! This made me think of storytelling in a brand new way. 

Drawing sympathy by giving characters relatable problems is what makes an audience like the people they meet on the page (or onscreen). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

You know, I've been thinking about this, and nowhere does it say have a great plot.

I saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. It doesn't have a great plot, but it is a great movie. Great plot is great (but it's not indispensable).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johne said:

Great plot is great (but it's not indispensable).

This is actually very true. Some of the best loved stories of all time almost have no "plot". Think Anne of Green Gables. What's the plot? What's the moral? Its just an orphan, desperate for a family and a home, growing up in a small community and it relates the stuff she goes through. No external antagonist, just a girl who steals our heart. 

31 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

This is actually very true. Some of the best loved stories of all time almost have no "plot". Think Anne of Green Gables. What's the plot? What's the moral? Its just an orphan, desperate for a family and a home, growing up in a small community and it relates the stuff she goes through. No external antagonist, just a girl who steals our heart. 

Yeah, but isn't that the plot?

the main events of a play, novel, movie, or similar work, devised and presented by the writer as an interrelated sequence.

I think when we say 'plot' we mean main events which have a plan, a structure, an overarching arc which feels planned. I think ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD is less about plot and more about a couple of days in the life of two friends who Hollywood is leaving behind. (For instance, take OOATIH  - a friend of mine just became a Story Grid editor and this was her statement on the film: "For those who think this movie doesn't have a plot, are you familiar with the concept of internal genres? This had Status arc all over it... It's not an action plot, it's about two dudes coming to terms with their own definition of success.")

A rebellious streak in me is responsible for my high rate of unique words in Grammarly. 

This is what I get from Pickwick the first word on autocomplete:

"It's a very long way from his father of a single entry was posted on Tuesday."

That writing prompt would be transformed to:

"A trek from his father's posting resulted in a single journal entry: We left Tuesday morning."

7 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

Little Women is somewhat similar.

I'm trying to remember the term for this type of novel. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn  is another, as is Robinson Crusoe and a lot of Dickens.

Essentially just a sequence of incidents tied to one character or a group, these are usually about a journey to emotional maturity.

7 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Essentially just a sequence of incidents tied to one character or a group, these are usually about a journey to emotional maturity.

Yeah, that's exactly it!