Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
TDDracken

Short Story Submissions - How do they work?

I've pondered over the idea of writing short stories and submitting them to contests, magazines, or whatever else does this sort of thing.  The only thing keeping me back is that I have no idea as to how it works.  Do I maintain the rights to use and publish accepted work elsewhere?

Most all of the short stories that I've written are essentially going to be parts of novels that I intend to write later one.  Since I actually intend to insert these short stories as part of a larger novel, I can't risk not being able to have the excerpts of future novels be held captive by publishing rights issues.

Contests will state in their guidelines/rules about your rights and you retain your rights. That I've always seen. However, if you won a contest, I don't know that you'd want to make it as part of a novel if you were going to go traditional publishing. I think, though, it may be okay if you self-publish.

• Like 1

Back in the Silver Age of science fiction, the market for short stories and novellas was driven by monthly magazines and it was common for expanded stories to be published in paperback as novels. Stories would be submitted for "first publication rights only."  This publication was usually acknowledged in the expanded version.

Even in this new order of things for the information age, a good short story can be a taste of a longer work to come.

I was without net for a while and forgot about this topic.  :P

I'll have to say that I'll tend to avoid writing contests or submissions to magazines unless I can safely share things and retain rights to them.