Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Entoman

Introducing myself...

Greetings,

My name is Ryan: I have been working on and off for several years on a novel entitled The Herd of Philosophizing Walruses, thoughts and criticisms of which are my main motivation for joining this forum. My Christian perspective I would describe as something like charasmatic anabaptist. I am an entomologist by education and thoroughly enjoy a romp through field and forest, net in hand and insects afoot. I look forward to learning from you all and contributing what I can when I am able. 

• Like 6

Welcome to our writing family, Ryan. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

Hi Ryan, It's nice to meet you.

I'm especially curious about the "charismatic anabaptist" perspective you hold. I grew up Mennonite, so I'm always interested in other anabaptist beliefs. What do you mean when you say charismatic anabaptist? I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that phrase before although I can make a guess at what it might mean, but I'd rather hear it from you.

If my curiosity is too much, feel free to ignore my prying.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Bring on the walruses, whether they be philosophical ones or not.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, Becky Bradley said:

Hi Ryan, welcome.  Interesting title for your novel.  what is it about?

Broadly speeking it is a satire that explores man's desire and search for legitimate authority apart from God and the absurdity of being able to clearly see the flaws in the current authority structure of society while being blinded to the flaws of the system the zeitgeist of our day proposes to replace it with. 

The way this plays out in the story is the replacement of the representative democracy system with genetically modified intelligent animals over the governments of the world (one of which is the eponymous Herd of Philosophizing Walruses). So basically a complete inversion of the dominion structure established in Genesis. There will be a number of other philosophical, ethical, social and religous themes adressed as well but that is the main thrust of the novel.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, yowordworm said:

Hi Ryan, It's nice to meet you.

I'm especially curious about the "charismatic anabaptist" perspective you hold. I grew up Mennonite, so I'm always interested in other anabaptist beliefs. What do you mean when you say charismatic anabaptist? I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that phrase before although I can make a guess at what it might mean, but I'd rather hear it from you.

If my curiosity is too much, feel free to ignore my prying.

I grew up Pentacostal which contributes the charasmatic end of my beliefs. I believe that the spiritual gifts referenced in the epistles will remain active and relevant until Jesus returns. I am also in agreement with the tenants of the Schleitheim Confession. My positions on a few of the practices commonly seen in some anabaptist groups are still in development. For example the wearing of a head covering by women: I understand the logic of the argument made by those that say the head covering was a culturaly specific ordinance intended to distinguish female believers from the pagan influence of their day. I have some bias in this direction I think. But it also seems to me that if you are interpretting this teaching in this way just to get out of having to wear atire that is culturally akward then you have just missed the logical implications of your own argument. The conclusion would not be "therefore I don't need to wear a head covering" but rather something like, "therefore the modesty of my atire should meaningfuly contrast with the atire of those around me." This might not require a head covering but wearing one accomplishes this in most cases incidentally. Basically the attitude brought to any interpretation should not be about getting out of rules but rather how more broadly to apply the rules given. It is difficult to seek the Kingdom of God if we ourselves are not trying to make the rule of God as complete as possible in our own lives.

• Like 2