Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Captjim

Advice for autobiography

I’m about 240 pages into an autobiography.  I have a vast experience in military and commercial aviation, and I’m writing about the faith an perseverance it took to get me through it all.  It was crazy ride.  Lots of stops/starts, crushing failures, and some surprising victories.  I need advice on editing and publishing.    Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Be sure you have your work professionally edited. Do you wish to go traditional or self-publish? Be sure you check with us as there numerous scammers out there with open hands, ready to pick your pocket!

I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

If I were pressed for an answer, I would say no as well. And you really don't want to shell out thousands of dollars to someone when you can do the work yourself, if you're not going the traditional route. Those that charge those exorbitant fees are not self-publishers. They're usually referred to as vanity publishers. Not good.

Is there any one to go through?  Any company or organization?  Westbow looks professional and is under Zondervan, which I thought was a reputable company.

Yes. And there are a few others for ebooks:

*Apple iBooks

*Barnes & Noble Nook

*Kobo

*Google Play

1 hour ago, Captjim said:

How do you get a professional editor?

You can join groups on Facebook, ask other authors who they used, check The Christian Writers Market Guide (I think editors are listed, not positive), and you can google them. Here are a few sites you can check out:

* https://www.christianproofreaders.com/

* https://www.firstediting.com/editing-service/fiction-editing-services/

* https://www.christianeditorsnetwork.com/

19 minutes ago, Captjim said:

So, professional editing can be done there, or no?

Nope. There is no editing.

Westbow keeps calling and pointing out a website that has good reviews for them.  I keep telling them no.

My aunt published her Bible study book through Westbow.  Total sales? Twenty-four copies, one of which my sister gave to me after my father gave it to her.

Thing is, a series of POD handouts would have served the same purpose. An honest assessment would have pointed out the limited market for this kind of thing. I suppose she could have supported the book better through speaking engagements.

But that's the book world these days. I'm looking forward to learning more about your life, Skipper, but I don't know if I'd pay the Westbow price for the privilege.

Thanks.  I think I’m going with Kindle Direct first.  Major edit going on right now.  God help me. 🙏🏻

My take would be that anyone who keeps calling a writer is trying to drum up business. Professional publishers don't have time for that.