Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

On 8/5/2019 at 11:04 PM, Erin Cook said:

I am very paranoid about accidentally forgetting one of my ideas, despite my photographic memory, so I jot them down ASAP. 

You have a photographic memory?

• Like 2

Yeah; my uncle and cousin are the same way. It's pretty easy for us to learn because our brains absorb things really well. :)

• Like 2

That's really cool. I have a partial photographic memory, and one of my sisters has a complete photographic memory.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

Wow. Wish I had even a partial photographic memory.

Doesn't always work that well.

• Like 3

I know.

But my brothers got most of the genes I'd love to have a few of. Height and memory, mostly.

• Like 2

Hi KR,

I've been doing quite a bit of writing myself this last week. I love all the info I gain from everyone's answers. I tried to send you this suggestion over the weekend, but it wouldn't go through. I'm still learning what goes where and how to do it.

Anyway, I believe the more you say something about yourself, the more you believe it.  I had this "saying" I used with my students.  "What you say, Becomes what you believe, becomes how you feel, becomes how you act, becomes who you are." Everytime I caught a student saying "I'm stupid" or "I'll never learn this" I would immediately stop the lesson and the student would have to come up with 5 positive things to say about him/herself. By the end of the year I would catch my students in other classes stopping others from making negative comments about themselves.  Because even scripture talks about how the mouth reveals what is in the heart. God made us exactly the way he needed us to be. Without flaws.  "We are fearfully and wonderfully made.  So when you keep saying your memory is bad, unless you have been diagnosed with a brain injury, you are actually calling your creator, God a liar. Yes we have an old nature, yes we are sinful, but was that ever God's intention.  So "catch" negative thoughts as soon as they come out of your mouth and throw them away.

I also wanted to suggest that you look at your covers from another angle.  Your covers clearly show that you have an excellent creative eye. Have you ever thought of using your "cover ideas" to tell a story? If your ideas come from someone else's titles, you must have imaged a picture to go with that story. If I knew how, I would use graphics as an introduction to something I want to say. Something I am passionate about. Or something shocking to pull the reader in. You could use another graphic at the beginning of a second chapter, or to introduce another tale. 

Visual story art, Like meme's are very much creative art.  Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Widen your vision on possible uses for your Art.  

MaryKaithe

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MaryKaithe said:

unless you have been diagnosed with a brain injury

EXACTLY!

I'm not sure how to tell a story about my artwork. The book covers are almost always based on story ideas, not the other way around. Very few come after the story is written. Err, summarized.

Thank you for your encouraging words. They mean a lot. :D

• Like 2

Back in the days of film photography, image colors were reversed on the film. Black was white and white was black. Then you reversed this by printing on paper that restored the image.

So it's an old guy pun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very funny E... I love it.  I used to be the school photography back a WIU and would work in the lab for hours. Never got into color work though, but did my share of loading film in the dark. It's funny how much time can pass by when you are timing everything!

• Like 2

KR, somehow I missed where this was posted. It should have been in the critique section. Writings like this are not allowed in this forum. I'm going to leave it because there is so much discussion on it.

2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

It should have been in the critique section.

Oops. While I did think about putting it there I figured it was less important than an actual story. But I'll try to remember that I need to put stuff like this there from now on. Thanks.