Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicholas Reicher

Massive edit on first novel almost done

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

whether or not (weather or knot?)

With your "knot," I'm pretty sure you meant this faliciously, but "whether" has the second letter "h," as does "choice." So when you are offering a choice, use "whether." For the other, thing "we-at-her picnic and it rained!"

Besides, I've read some of what you wrote, and I know you know.

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, carolinamtne said:

With your "knot," I'm pretty sure you meant this faliciously,

it was in jest and a play on words.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:55 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

When is it a case of "nobody will publish it"? At what point do I just make it into a self publish series, and seek publishing on my other works?

I thought of this thread today as I was looking at various Amazon niches and their sales numbers through my nifty market analysis tool.

@Nicholas Reicher, have you looked at the Christian Futuristic Fiction page on Amazon? It seems to be a relatively popular niche, but there aren't a huge number of books: still only about 2,000. Visibility is great, and titles there fit in with the category name. The genre hasn't yet been crowded out by indies looking to shoe-horn their unrelated books in there, which is one of my biggest peeves with self-publishers on Amazon.

• Like 4

I have never self published - I haven't even made the decision to self publish or not because only @suspensewriter has answered the question...

So I'm not even looking into all the advice everyone's giving me about how to promote, advertise, who to promote through, how to list it, etc.

Still trying to come to a decision. This is almost a one-way decision, since publishers are notoriously leery of books that have already been published. If I decide to self publish this book, that means the entire series will be self published.

• Like 2

Well, regrettably I've never published anything so I don't have any suggestions. Except to say that's probably what I'll do. 

1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

Well, regrettably I've never published anything so I don't have any suggestions. Except to say that's probably what I'll do. 

Extra, Extra, @zx1ninja outsells Nicholas Reicher! Read  all about it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hey, I've got faith in you, too!

Thank you both. You're very generous. 

• Like 1

Nicholas, I've never read Left Behind. I've watched movies about after-the-rapture though. There is no such thing as "already done." There is only "already done just like this." That would be the reason no one takes it. And, I doubt yours is his.

About 25 years ago, word was out that no one will ever do another vampire story because it's been done to death. I'm still laughing over that one.

You're missing something in your decision making. You don't know if an agent or publisher will champion your story yet. If you self-pub, you'll never know.

Put some time into checking out agents and then see if you find any you want to work with. Too many writers think they'll take anyone, but after doing some research, I found I could not partnership with half the agents that represent my kind of fiction. Instead of "who will take me," I asked, "Who will I take?"

Here's a little article I did a few years ago that teaches how to find agents. 

I know if an agent will represent me now, because I did ask. It would have bugged me for the rest of my life not knowing.

Oh, and the answer? None would. That's okay, because now I know. (And, I might just go back to trying again after finishing Book 2. I don't know yet. :D)

Just don't not-trad-pub, simply because you don't think anyone will take it. I suspect you are wrong on that. There is a niche for readers who want to read about after the rapture. All Left Behind did was prove that's true.

• Like 1