Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

25 amateur writing mistakes

I battle with #2 - I often have characters get similar names, and then have to change them in editing. Only problem is that I then can't remember who's who in the zoo ...

Thanks for sharing @Alley. This was good. 

• Like 3

I know I am guilty of No: 10- getting tense mixed up.

I think I may be occasionally guilty of No: 22 _ using adverb + verb (but hopefully I spot them when proofing).

Again, when starting a piece of work I can be introduce too many characters in a scene. 

Otherwise I think I manage to avoid the others.

• Like 3

Great video, Alley! I didn't know, at first, if her instruction would apply to non-fiction writing, but, in many cases, it does. Thanks for the video!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I understand that, for some people, videos are more popular than written articles. I prefer a written list, because then I can go back over it. In a video, I think, "Oh, yeah." Then the speaker goes on and I lose track of what she just said. 

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

But thanks for posting this. Good points, whatever they were. (:>)

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

Which is not intended as a criticism of either the post or the poster. It's a comment about the function (or lack thereof) of my brain.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've been aware of #2 myself, especially in my novel about our Creators.  Here is the problem.  I am using the Hebrew version of Jesus' name (Yeshua).  But in Exodus chapter 6:3 (in the Torah) God has his name spelled YHVH in Hebrew. There are no dots or dashes that normally indicate which vowels to use.  It is said they were passed down to the priest who was chosen once a year to go into the Holy of Holies, but sometime after 70 A. D. they were lost.

There are some who claim to know how to pronounce YHVH's name.  Using various reasons, they came up with certain vowels that they placed between the letters Y H V H.  One person on youtube even said he was told exactly how to say it by a member of the priesthood as it was passed down from one generation to the other in his family.  And to tell you the truth, I liked the way he pronounced it.  He says it is Yahovah or Yehovah with a sort of hic-cup on the second syllable.  It is pretty close to what others have said.  (Yah is also an acceptable shortening of the name Yehovah according to teachings on Jewish traditions, holy days and events, etc.  It is the reason certain names such as Obadiah-servant of God-and other names referring to God are pronounced the way they are.  It is, also, part of hallelujah (halleluyah) and one of the reasons experts give for pronouncing YHVH as Yahovah).  I've considered using Yah in place of YHVH, but it doesn't quite look right.  Maybe I am not use to it.

I could use the way God introduced himself in Exodus chapter 3:14, Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh, or Ehyeh, translated I am who I am or I will be who I will be.  If I use this version of his name I wouldn't have  to be concerned about the two names beginning with Y or the pronunciation because it is spelled outright in the Torah--and God does tell Moses to tell the people that is his name.

As far as speaking his name, we are actually told to use it in several areas of the Old Testament, just not in vain. It even says every generation will know--and if I remember right--use his name.  Please don't ask me to quote exactly where that verse is found right now.  That will take a bit of time. I believe it is very important to know his name and will actually help in our prayers--if used correctly.  Traditions says that is why the priests kept it a secret; they did not want others using it the wrong way.

I prefer using YHVH.  But I have the huge responsibility of getting the pronunciation right (if possible) and figuring out how to put it into the book's content early.  Since no one really knows exactly how to pronounce it, am I being unfair or wrong to want it my way?

To help you see how the two names interact with each other in the same scene these are the first few lines of my book.

Silence--was accompanied by nothingness--not even a beginning.  Yet it was not cold and isolating.  It was filled with the lives of two Gods.

YHVH smiled as he felt his son's warm presence probing his mind.  He would have welcomed Yeshua's input, but his son wanted his dream to  be all his own.  It didn't stop Yeshua's curiosity though.

Yeshua watched the images form and delete as YHVH worked out the intricate details of life dependent on life.  He was working backward, forming the most important designs in his mind then adding the details that would enhance their lives and make them thrive.  The visions grew layer upon layer: food, water, shelter, atmosphere, worlds. . .warmth and cold. . .placements and seasons. . .  For if anything was not placed just right, and at the right time, the whole tapestry  of his dream could begin to unravel.  Yeshua was awestruck by  his father's mind and mesmerized by his visions of beauty and craftmanship-from the tiniest spider web to the exact measurements and distances of stars and planets.

Edited by Becky Bradley
added new information
  • Like 1

I understand the concern about having two names starting with the same letter. It can be confusing. However, in this case, one name is all capital letters, which makes it easily distinguishable from the other. I think the way you have it here is fine.

• Like 1

thank you, Carolina.  it never occurred to me that using all caps would make a difference, though I'm still not sure how to pronounce it when read out loud.

• Like 1

If you are planning this as an audio book, then pronunciation will be a consideration for you. However, you're not the first person to use those capitalized letters. How are they pronounced in other writings?

• Like 1

Carolina, thank you for your response.  I honestly do believe out of all my books, this particular one will be published someday and has God's hand in its writing.  One of the questions I anticipate will be the pronunciation of YHVH.  Yehovah is the way most sites say it.  Being God's real  name, I was concerned about getting it as accurate as possible.  I suppose if I explain how others have come up with this pronunciation, it would be satisfactory.  I'm thinking about including a page on name and word pronunciations at the beginning of the book as I have seen others do. 

Because you pointed out the difference between Yeshua and YHVH is the capital letters; it gives me peace of mind to use it like I originally wanted to in my book.  Thank you for that. :)

• Like 1

You are very welcome. Just looking at it in print, YHVH really stands out, so I don't think that will be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know and understand what she said, but why can't you use your name for a character? Really?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I know and understand what she said, but why can't you use your name for a character? Really?

Because if Z writes about character Z being an ax-wielding serial killer, we might get worried! 😳😱😵💀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She said to never use your real name for your character. presumably because the agent/publisher wont like it and it's not professional. I'd like to specifically know why?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

We MIGHT?

It's a distinct possibility. 😁

Edited by Alley
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

I'd like to specifically know why?

No real reason, except that it will show your name in the author's space and the reader will wonder, "Hey, that guy used his name for one of the characters!"

• Like 1

So if my first name is John and my protagonist's first name is John that's a problem? 

Okay, but I still don't get the problem. 

• Like 1

I think there's a few things going on there. I think it's less of a problem if the name is really common. For example, John is a common enough name that readers probably won't think the author is writing himself into the novel, but if the name is unique, readers will think the author is trying to insert himself into the world of his characters. 

As for writing yourself into fiction, readers respond to that in different ways. Usually, it doesn't really bother me--especially if the character is a minor one, but I recently read a novel in which the main character was a writer who wrote all the books the author of the novel had written. (She didn't share the author's name, just her bibliography.) It was highly distracting, especially since other characters were often praising the main character for her well-written books. It felt a bit self-indulgent to me--as if the author was telling readers what to think of her past novels. I think that's the danger of writing yourself into a novel--it distracts readers from the actual story and puts the focus on the author instead of the characters.

• Like 2