Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Supposing the Apostle John had never died?

This morning I got an idea which might be developed into some kind of story.

According to the Gospel of John, Chapter 21: 20-24:

"Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”)  When Peter saw him, he asked, 'Lord, what about him?'

" Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.'

"Because of this, the rumor spread among the believers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?'

"This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    

My idea is, supposing the Apostle John has remained alive until this present day?  Would he now be the "Eternal Pope"?  I've read that in the Middle Ages people actually went on pilgrimages searching for him, who was called "Prester John".  Does anyone have any other ideas? 

• Like 3

How about this? The present day Apostle John is being targeted by Isis or other Moslem Terrorists, who are in league with anti-Christian Leftist organizations. His supporters assume that he will be safe from all of them.
John points out what he'd recorded in the Gospel that bears his name.
"But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?'"
I think this could be developed into a major suspense thriller; and I have a lot of experience writing suspense thrillers.

• Like 2

This all sounds like an awesome concept for a story idea!! I absolutely love a good story that will keep me hanging on the edge of my seat; I am behind you one-hundred percent on this project, and wish you the best of luck and blessings as you progress! Will be thinking of ideas that may help you and will be around if you need me for anything. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

This all sounds like an awesome concept for a story idea!! I absolutely love a good story that will keep me hanging on the edge of my seat; I am behind you one-hundred percent on this project, and wish you the best of luck and blessings as you progress! Will be thinking of ideas that may help you and will be around if you need me for anything. :)

Thank you Erin.  What I'm thinking of doing, is including the Present Day Apostle John, in a revised, and greatly expanded version of a story I've already written.  It's an old short story, which I wrote back in 2012, titled "Chanitok L. I."

It's available on the writers website, writing.com where it's been given an 18+ (or R) rating. Its classified in the Satire, Political and Religious Genres. 

If you'd like to read it, please go to:

www.writing.com/main/books/item_id/2134276-Chanitok-LI.

The story consists of approximately 21,500 words, on 53 pages, divided into 9 chapters, using microsoftword formatting.

If you do read it, you'll see that the Apostle John wouldn't be the Main Character, but he would still have a major roll.   Then I'd like to know what ideas you have, about expanding the plot. 

Thank you again.  

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I'll have to dump my screenplay then. I wrote this about 3 years ago. Different plot, but same premise - Apostle John still alive.

I hope you're just kidding.  I don't want to get in anybody's way.  I'm sure it's a very different plot, from the one I haven't begun to develop yet.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What I've been thinking, is that if I'm going to use John the Apostle as a character in one of my writings, I need to find out what his personality was like.

I've read his three Epistles, and the first three chapters of Revelation, and have just read up to Chapter 8 in the Gospel of John.  In reading his Gospel, I see what he remembered about Jesus.  In his Epistles I see his theology.  In Revelation, I see the Vision he saw.  But in all these things, I do not see the Apostle's personality.  So I have no idea how to present him.

In the completed short story that I'm thinking of expanding, there are a good number of characters, with very distinct personalities.  With what I'm thinking of doing with the plot, they are all the characters I'll need.  John doesn't have to appear alive to help them.  All they need are his writings.

So what he wrote in the Gospel can be interpreted this way.  John doesn't have to live forever.  His writings have.

Of course I've just begun thinking of how to expand the narrative, so I can easily expand the number of characters, and situations. In those situations, help from the Apostle John, whatever personality I give him, may be a necessity.

• Like 1

Here's something that someone on a different website has pointed out to me:

"Keep in mind that Jesus referred to John and his brother as the 'Sons of Thunder.'"
xxxxxxxxxxx

I like that. "Sons of Thunder". Today, there are a very large number of TV preachers who could be described as "Thunderous". As a matter of fact, in the story I'm thinking of expanding, there is one scene in which the Main Character watches a televised TV preacher, who's nickname is "Bible Banging Bob. The Bellowing Baptist from Biloxi". Now I'm thinking that this TV personality might be John the Apostle in disguise.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, William D'Andrea said:

I hope you're just kidding.  I don't want to get in anybody's way.  I'm sure it's a very different plot, from the one I haven't begun to develop yet.  

No, I don't want to squash anyone else getting ideas for novels. It's much different - a Catholic monk wants to leave service at parishes at Boston and requests to be transferred to the library to research. He is assigned instead to a lonely monastery in Turkey. Assignment? Care for an old monk named Yochanan. All the priest is told is that Yochanan is prone to be argumentative, and only speaks Hebrew and Aramaic.

That's my plot. 3 act, mostly a two man story. I'm thinking of developing it into a one camera 20 minute video, but the props, wardrobe and location filming would be expensive. And I'd have to turn it to English quickly, because nobody's going to sit through a movie that's entirely in Aramaic.

• Like 2

Get Final Draft. There's way too much info I'd need to put here - Dr. Rita can vouch for that. Screenplays have to be written in such a way you interest or entertain the professional script readers, so you have to keep things short for bored people, and jazz it up in all kinds of ways that have nothing to do with the actual final product. Your dialog has to be written where often you're saying something other than what you mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

No, I don't want to squash anyone else getting ideas for novels. It's much different - a Catholic monk wants to leave service at parishes at Boston and requests to be transferred to the library to research. He is assigned instead to a lonely monastery in Turkey. Assignment? Care for an old monk named Yochanan. All the priest is told is that Yochanan is prone to be argumentative, and only speaks Hebrew and Aramaic.

My story is very distinctly different.   One of my story's characters is a "Thunderous" TV preacher, who's nickname is "Bible Banging Bob. The Bellowing Baptist from Biloxi".  There are people who believe that this Southern Preacher might actually be the Apostle John. 

He is invited to come to Long Island, to help restore a Church building which was devastated by a fire caused by lightning.  Many members of the Politically Correct Congregation, wonder if  the lightning strike was the wrath of God.

• Like 1

Wow - looks like the power house lights are no with you guys.

Love the John idea. Can see why he might be hunted down by Isis - 

If Jesus wanted John to live it would be for a specific purpose I think - what would be that purpose be?  Might it have something to do on cosmic scale (eg final revelation/save the earth?) or might it be on a smaller scale e.g bringing healing to the broken community or family?

Go for it.👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have finally gone from writing about revising and expanding my old short story "Chanitok, Long Island", in which the Apostle John would appear, to actually doing the writing.

I started working on it this afternoon.  It's going to be a very long, slow process.  I have no idea how long it will take.

When I'm composing fiction, it's like going on a journey of exploration and discovery.  I have only a general idea of where I'm going, hoping to find some interesting things along the way. 

While in the middle of writing a long work of fiction, I have often thought "This is gonna be awful."  But I just keep on writing, until I reach a point where everything falls into place, and the work turns out to be far better than I'd expected.

I thank all of you for your helpful suggestions.  I would also appreciate it, if any of you would like to continue being helpful. 

• Like 1