Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

How far do you get into your character/s?

Rather than put this in the new word thread, I thought it might be fun to see how far you guys go to get into your character/s.

Today's word of the day is cosplay. What? Well, if you look at it, it makes sense. It means the art or practice of wearing costumes to portray characters from fiction, especially from manga, animation, and science fiction, a skit featuring these costumed characters.

So, do any of you get yourself into character by using costumes or anything else? :D

• Like 3

Can't say I do. I'd look a little weird dressed up as a pirate dude from the first century with dreadlocks and a beard. ;) xD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

LOL Not if it was Sept. 19...Talk Like a Pirate Day! :D Which, btw, used to be big around here. Great fun! :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is it a little too much to get into my characters so much that they cosplay?

I was honest when I told people straight out, I'm nuts, but my characters are mostly my stuffed animals. (The story isn't real, but the characters are.) I started with taking pictures of a couple of teddy bears on our vacations because it's more enjoyable to look at vacation pictures with teddy bears than a frumpy middle aged couple. But from there I created a website for them and then a couple of blogs before I got to writing a novel.

So, by now, I have tons of pictures of my stuffed animals. This one is from Halloween a few years ago, and they got dressed up. (For the picture. I'm not really nuts enough to take them out trick or treating. :$)

So, whereas I don't cosplay, my characters do. :D

halloweencostumes.jpg

• Like 3

I really like my characters. I was having a conversation with my daughter and sister-in-law at a family gathering, both of which have beta read my manuscripts.  While we were discussing the characters and what has happened and what they would like to see happen, some of the other family members started huddling around us. They thought were were talking about real alive people. And were drawn into the conversation thinking we were talking about some one we knew or some sort of reality show. 

• Like 4

I can get quite intense with my characters and 'live' with them for quite a while. 

For my WIP I wrote a of character CV for each main character and sourced photos of people who either physically looked like the person in my head or who's expression/look somehow nailed the character's personality.  I usually do this exercise after I have written a couple of scene and have a good sense of them and can 'see' them. 

I need to get out more.🙁

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

character CV

As in an honest-to-goodness resume? Or more like a character sketch?

(Can you tell my characters never had a paying job?)

46 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Hmmm...that's a good idea, Lynn. I'll have to see if that unblocks my aphasia.  Thanks, and wish me luck!

If you find anything that does unblock it, let me know. I still only see where I boobooed the next day. (I tweeted something about Sen. McCain the other day, and realized no one would ever know who Sen. McKeon was, including me. :$)

• Like 2

I get almost fanatical about my characters; they almost become a part of me, as real as any of the real friends I have! They stick with me for the rest of my life. It's an awesome experience. 

I have never done cosplay personally, though I knew a guy once who has cosplayed as Spiderman before. :D

If I ever did cosplay, I would either want to go as a Mega Man character, a Biblical figure or Bugs Bunny. Maybe Elastigirl. :)

• Like 1

CV probably better description -  character profile - physical appearance, occupation, likes/dislikes, hobbies, favourite mannerism/phrase that kind of thing and backstory.

For costumes? Well, I have an Australia hat but not a Stetson.

Note to self - must visit USA and get Stetson. ☺️

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

I have never done cosplay personally, though I knew a guy once who has cosplayed as Spiderman before. :D

Do you mean the Marvel Spiderman, as in "Spiderman: Homecoming" and "Spiderman: Far From Home"?

• Like 2

I'm actually not sure; I'd have to ask him, though I hardly ever see him anymore since he stopped working at the Kroger I shop at. 

• Like 2

It is the Marvel Spiderman, I just don't know if it's any particular one like one of the types you mentioned above. :)

• Like 2

Just now, Erin Cook said:

I hardly know anything about Spiderman personally!! I never watched the movies. :D

Me neither.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

He didn't actually work on the movie, right?

Oh, my, no, he does Spiderman at some kind of monthly festival they have in Decatur (about 25 minutes from Hartselle, Alabama, where I live) called Third Friday. I have never been to one, but I need to head over to one sometime to see what it's like. It might be fun; I'm also planning to go to the Japanese Daikin Festival in Decatur next year. :D

• Like 2

One of my concerns about writing fiction was that idea of "getting into characters". I found it an alarming concept. I didn't want my thoughts to turn more easily to fictional characters than to my present reality with the LORD (perhaps you understand what I mean, I hope:)  But as a language learner, (well even earlier, in university science classes) I found I would awake from dreaming in a foreign language (or a foreign math language:) and I realized I was "getting into character" , that is getting deep enough into the content that I was not just remembering important facts but synthesizing my own ideas within a new language!  That language learning experience has encouraged me to not fear "getting into character" now as I launch out into writing with a goal of publishing a novel. 

As for cosplay, I didn't know the word previously, Lynn. Thanks for bringing it forward. I wonder if my having dressed contextually for years within the culture I'm writing of might have been tantamount to cosplay since I'm now visualizing the characters in Central Asian clothing instead of American clothes. I've wondered how many words I should spend trying to bridge the gap between my imagination and the American reader's imagination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carolyn W said:

how many words I should spend trying to bridge the gap between my imagination and the American reader's imagination.

Enough to get hem into the feel of it, but not so many as to turn them away from "boring" description. That's a real challenge.

• Like 2