Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Writer's guide to fair use and permissions

17 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

There are exceptions to the public domain part. Some families keep their relative's copyright going past the 75 year mark. And, since we're Christians, it's important to know this part, because the book I'm thinking of is the KJV. It's still owned by the royal family.

On the good news side, their permission isn't needed if you use under 2000 verses. (And who would include over 2000 verses? xD) But there are other Bible versions that do require permission for less verses used. Generally speaking, no one ever goes up to the number they state, but something to keep in mind.

Most Bible version do include their requirements somewhere on their website.

It is rare for a family to keep copyrights, but it happens. And it's usually a book that remains popular, so don't forget to check, even if you're pretty sure it's okay.

LotR and The Hobbit wouldn't have become movies without first negotiating with Tolkien's descendants.

• Like 2

Yes, that's true. I haven't had a chance to read the whole article but I'm surprised she didn't include that sometimes, relatives or others buy the right to continue with the property.

The KJV requires no permission. However, if your book is published in the UK, you do need permission. For any verse.

I took apart the book I wrote, but didn't publish, and used it as blog posts. If I had published it, I might have come close to some of the limits of certain Bible versions. I had a lot of topics and a lot of Scripture! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:21 PM, Spaulding said:

There are exceptions to the public domain part. Some families keep their relative's copyright going past the 75 year mark. And, since we're Christians, it's important to know this part, because the book I'm thinking of is the KJV. It's still owned by the royal family.

The crown maintains a loose copyright in Britain only to the extent of protecting the text from changes. That's it. The KJV is not under copyright restrictions  the way other modern translations are protected.

Consider the abuse done to the KJV text by many publishers such as Oxford (changing words, a violation of the Crown's copyright), the Crown has paid no attention. Those who care about the KJV will only use a Cambridge text.

Verse                                        Correct                         Changed

GENESIS 1:1                            heaven                          heavens

GENESIS 11:3                          throughly                     thoroughly

GENESIS 41:38                       Capital S (Spirit)           lower case s (spirit)

MATTHEW 4:1                        Capital S (Spirit)           lower case s (spirit)

There are others, but they are mostly Saviour vs Savior, Shew vs Show, etc.

Yes, this matters to some people. If they'll change this, they'll change other things if you let them.

• Like 3

Nicholas! You're here! We've missed you! I've been worried about you. I asked SW to send you a message and check on you since you wouldn't have answered me. Don't know that he's had a chance to do that yet. So good to see you! :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Welcome back! Stick around???

Yeah!