Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I'm hoping you might have some fun while helping me, so, please, enjoy yourself while thinking this over.

Each chapter in my middle-grade, (MG), story is a song title, or a pun of a song title. (The overall story will be seven books with about 20 chapters each, so I may be coming back for more suggestions over the years.) The songs can be old, new, children's songs, rap, (assuming no one is going for vulgar), classic rock, folk, 1940's, 1900's, 2010's. etc. Any song plenty of people know, but I'd prefer them not being Christian, unless non-Christians know them too. (Everyone knows, Jesus loves me, this I know, so not eliminating all Christian songs.)

Examples of songs already used:

Banned on the Run

Alice's Restaurant

Sk8er Boi

Teddy Bears' Picnic (Oh, come on. You had to see that one coming. xD)

Blue Skies. (I was thinking Pink Floyd, but others taught me other versions, and they all worked for that chapter.)

Each song is connected to the scene in the chapter. For instance, the first chapter/song worked because stuffed animals were banned in the US and dogs and rats made them run. Banned on the Run. Alice's Restaurant is set in a trash dump and they run into a teddy bear named Alice. 

Oh, and the lyrics of the song all have to be G rated, too.

Okay, that was just to set up my request. (And keep remembering this is supposed to be fun. There are no wrong answers. It's whatever you can come up with.)

This chapter is where the stuffies (stuffed animals) come back to their old community with 6000 new stuffies joining them. The community has become home. They've been gone for four days, and the four worst days of their lives, (except for the new friends they're bringing home.) Have you ever moved away from home, and then come back some time later? You know that excitement of "home?" To see old friends? To do the stuff you used to do with them? Just to have everything back like it used to be? And then when you get there it's anything but that? Everyone and everything changed. They grew. They're into different things. That feeling?

Well, can you come up with a song that most people know and conveys that? Because that's the title I'm looking for. (And, yes, I have thought of Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel, but there is still hope that home is still the same in that song. I'm looking for a song about the disappointment in coming home. ;)) And don't forget, puns are great too.

• Like 2

How about;

Brandi

American pie

Cats in the cradle 

Watching Scotty grow

• Like 2

I think there may be plenty of themes in those. 

Puff the magic dragon

Don't blink by Kenny Chesney 

Me and my arrow

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Crazy Horses? Smoke on the Water? Superstar? Seasons In the Sun? Locomotion, maybe?

Btw, my mom used to hear almost all of these songs (Banned On the Run included) all the time growing up years ago; I've heard plenty of them myself and love it! I love sharing the nostalgia with her. :D

Edited by Erin Cook
  • Like 1

Oooohhh, how about Blues in the Night? I love songs from the 40s, too!! I wish I could live in the 40s and see what it was like!!

• Like 1

Take the A Train? In the Mood? Tea For Two? Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep? Paper Moon? Stardust? 

Btw, has anyone ever noticed what a weird song Band On the Run is? I've never heard a song like it; it's like it has all these strange disjointed parts that don't really match; each section is completely different from the last! What's up with that??? 😕

• Like 1

The whole Band on The Run album is a bit like the single - 'Jet'  'Pacisso Last Night' very weird but great.

Just one thought - check out copyright. If you are using songs - even ones from the 70/80s they may still be in copyright. Anything over 50 yrs may not.

Horse with No Name

Hi O, Silver

Old King

• Like 2

Yikes! Please check the copyright. You will get into a whole lot of trouble and a whole lot of debt paying their fees. However, it is 70 years, not 50. Using songs in public domain is fine.

Most recorded music in the US is subject to dual copyrights -- one copyright for a song (lyrics, melody) and one copyright for a recording of a song. The length of ownership for a song copyright depends on whether the song was copyrighted before or after 1978. If a song was copyrighted in or after 1978, the copyright is valid for the life of the author plus 70 years.

Here's a link if you'd like to read more.

• Like 3

I'm using titles of songs as chapter titles. Quite a bit different than using the whole song, or even a stanza/chorus. And since they are popular, they come as part of the culture, so can be named. It's like Happy Birthday. Anyone can say those words, even print them out, but it would cost to include the whole song.

And, since I am dealing with titles only, it's important the title reflect the feeling of the chapter. Like I used Goodbye Blue Skies  (and oops didn't give full title before :$), for the chapter after the big battle in a dump when many died or were injured. It was the moment when their childhood innocence was taken away and they had to face the reality of a new terrifying world. The darkness descended. Thus, Goodbye Blue Skies. If you check out the link, you'll see title and lyrics fit, even though I never wrote out the song.

For my first chapter in this book, I titled it Streets of Philadelphia after Springsteen's song. I posted that chapter on the critique forum, so you can see how the title innocuously fits. There is deep subtleness on how the words fit too.

That's the kind of connection I'm looking for. Where song title works in a larger sense, it gives some hint on what will happen, but only to those who know the song. And the lyrics add to it, but only to those who know the song.

This is a children's book, but I hope it's something like Harry Potter in that adults like it too, but on a different level.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

Btw, has anyone ever noticed what a weird song Band On the Run is? 

I've never actually listened to the song.  When I've heard it played over public address systems, I always thought the title was "Man on the Run"; but like I said, I've never actually paid attention to the lyrics.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Misheard song lyrics can be funny. I often find myself composing parodies of pop songs at work because of them.

Titles of songs as chapter titles is fair use.

Edited by EClayRowe
  • Like 3