Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Chuck Kralik

Modern Technology or the Old Fashioned Way

Modern Technology or the Old Fashioned Way  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you write most often?

• I use good ol' pen and paper.
    • I love my old school typewriter.
    • I prefer modern technology for my work.
    • Other

Actually, when an idea hits, I write it down on paper. I also write down scriptures, thoughts, etc. to use in writing or in making graphics. Sometimes, I write down titles for devotionals, then I open a Word doc and save it with the title. I also place the title in my list of titles. When thoughts gush out, I do better writing it on paper. My brain works better that way. Then, I type it out. So I do both. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HK1 said:

It's Word for me :D

New developments for MS Word: https://www.fastcompany.com/90346224/microsoft-word-is-getting-politically-correct

Microsoft will soon preview a version of Word that will use artificial intelligence to make your writing not just grammatically but politically correct...

It might underline places where your writing exhibited gender bias. If you tend to say “mailman” or Congressman” in the generic, it might suggest you use “mailperson” or “Congressperson.” If you use the term “gentlemen’s agreement,” it may suggest you use “unspoken agreement” instead...

If you describe someone as a “disabled person” the AI would suggest “person with a disability.” Person-first terminology is preferred because it portrays the person as more important than the disability.

Yes,  this is now a thing. o_O

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

Microsoft will soon preview a version of Word that will use artificial intelligence to make your writing not just grammatically but politically correct...

No!  That will drive me crazy.  I might be switching to LibreOffice in the near future...

• Like 2

I write using Word.  If I am away from my desk or am trying to work out the plot I tend to write long hand then transfer to Word.

Have download the free trial for Scrivener but couldn't work out how to save my character notes. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Accord64 said:

It might underline places where your writing exhibited gender bias. If you tend to say “mailman” or Congressman” in the generic, it might suggest you use “mailperson” or “Congressperson.” If you use the term “gentlemen’s agreement,” it may suggest you use “unspoken agreement” instead...

If you describe someone as a “disabled person” the AI would suggest “person with a disability.” Person-first terminology is preferred because it portrays the person as more important than the disability.

Oh no, that does it- I'm switching to Scrivener!

• Like 3

I can't recall the last time I set a finger on a typewriter key. Computer with MS Word. Easier to overwrite, erase, change and correct. Besides, where do you get a fresh typewriter ribbon? 

As for the AI coming to Word. Let's get it drunk and see what happens. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zx1ninja said:

Let's get it drunk and see what happens. 😉

drinking-computer-cartoon-vector-illustration-44054097.thumb.jpg.a1f3226437ef90364bd7adb0bab960e5.jpg

That doesn't look like it would end well... xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

That doesn't look like it would end well... xD

It never does.  But it is sometimes very entertaining. 😂

• Like 2

I'm using Word '95.  :P Old for tech? Yes.  But it works.
At some point I'll update to a newer version or word ... But I will NOT get one that has AI ...

I tried Scrivener and it's just not for me.  If it allowed me to put things into a single document, yes.  But dividing scenes into different pages all together?  That throws my creative flow off too much.

• Like 3

OpenOffice Writer. On a computer. Or a phone.  Unless I'm in bed and have to write something down really quick on paper. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chuck Kralik said:

I'm curious about how our authors write. Vote for your favorite method!

typewriter.jpg

I grew up with a typewriter and plenty of WiteOut. I much prefer my desktop and Word, because I don't need nail polish remover to get rid of the WiteOut that got on my fingers.

I just don't know if I can call that modern though, since it's still 20th century technology. (I just found out Gateway doesn't make computer towers anymore. Wow! Now what? Because I'm not going with dinky screen. I also like seeing the words too. :$)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Accord64 said:

New developments for MS Word: https://www.fastcompany.com/90346224/microsoft-word-is-getting-politically-correct

Yes,  this is now a thing. o_O

It already tried that, and didn't work. The two most well-known streets in Philadelphia are Market and Broad. Every time I wrote "Broad Street" Microsoft felt obliged to inform me that "Broad" is a condescending word for "Woman." 

In the next version of Word, they fixed that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Spaulding said:

I just don't know if I can call that modern though, since it's still 20th century technology. (I just found out Gateway doesn't make computer towers anymore. Wow! Now what? Because I'm not going withdinky screen. I also like seeing the words too. :$)

Man, you are old school! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm late seeing this; but I usually go by a system when I write. I get an idea, and I jot down all the drafts and characters and Scriptural references in my notebook. Then I head over to my laptop, get onto Microsoft Word, and just...type. Usually with my sunglasses on; my screen has a brightness glitch in it. 😎

• Like 1

Yeah, keep that in mind if your screen ever trips onto the brightest setting and gets stuck there; my sunglasses are a godsend!! I keep meaning to get that glitch in my laptop fixed. 😒

• Like 1

People go by while I type wearing my sun specs and I'm like, "I reeeeaaaalllllyyy hope I don't look dumb doing this!!" I can see where it might look a bit comical. 😂😂

• Like 1