Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I'm curious about the writing schedules of individuals on this site? Do you have a set schedule for when you write, or is it more  haphazard in nature? Do you wait for inspiration, or do you keep moving forward regardless? Do you have a "prime" time for writing, or do you simply write when you have time? Any discussion on this would be helpful. Thanks, everyone!

• Like 4

I typically write after my wife goes to sleep and write between 9pm and midnight. It's when I feel the most creative, the most relaxed. I put on some music in my headphones, fire up Scrivener, and make some hay.

I'm not regimented - I don't write every day. I write often enough that when I have an idea, I'm ready and able to write it out. I DO think about my novel kind of perpetually in the back of my head so when it comes time to write, I sort of know what I'm going to work on and when I start writing, it just sort of pours out. It feels fresh in the moment but my backbrain has been working on it for awhile before I actually commit the words to the page.

• Like 4

I try to write five or six days a week, most of the time in the late afternoon or early evening. 

• Like 3

The plan (which often is not followed) is to write in the afternoons, so I can do outside things (ride the horse, walk, lead the lambs, whatever) in the morning before the heat sets in. Sometimes that works. Other times it doesn't.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Johne said:

I'm not regimented - I don't write every day. I write often enough that when I have an idea, I'm ready and able to write it out.

Yes, this is how I am. I've been feeling guilty lately about what I view in myself as a lack of discipline. It's good to hear that other writers are not regimented either, although some are.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

The plan (which often is not followed) is to write in the afternoons...

I tend to prefer writing in the mornings, since that's when I feel most rested and alert. I'm kind of all over the board though when it comes to writing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuck Kralik said:

It's good to hear that other writers are not regimented either, although some are.

Walter Mosley, author of DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS and many other mystery novels, is prolific. He says he writes seven days per week, and I believe him. But his job is writing novels and my job is writing technical manuals. I write for fun and am a little relaxed about my schedule. It's a hobby for me - it's supposed to be fun. So I don't regiment the fun out of what I view as a pass-time.

• Like 5

I can mostly only speak from personal experience, though it strikes me as fairly self-centered to do so.

Personally, I write when inspiration strikes, which isn't very frequent, recently. I try to at least get myself set up for writing every day--mornings are my time, so I try to get out of the house by nine-thirty am so I can find a good place to sit in the coffee shop. I don't have an actual job, so have lots of free time. I wanted to use that free time for writing, but I've been pretty lazy from lack of inspiration.

• Like 4

It all depends what time of day I write depending on if I feel inspired or not. 

• Like 5

I have to agree with @Johne. My writing schedule kinda sounds the same.

I do try to write a thousands words a day, but it really depends on the book and the day. And then, of course, whenever a crazy burst of inspiration hits, I’ll be scribbling down something somewhere. I do better writing at night. Late at night when my brain seems half awake. At that point it’s just the Holy Spirit and the characters running the show without my logic and interference. But, hey, that’s when the story takes over. 🙃

• Like 3

I can have long gaps between writing spurts. Once i am writing a piece of work I will write whenever I can - daily.  So it can be fairly intensive. 

I have a notepad which I doodle ideas for scenes on. Then I will often link them up in a block of scenes or even a chapter. The other thing I do when starting to write something new is spend time building up my characters - even to the point of searching for photos of people who resemble them or show the type of  person I am writing about. 

• Like 3

I write when

• It's quiet in the house.
  • The basement isn't flooding.
  • The front door really opens.
  • No doctor appointments.
  • No medical emergencies.
  • The counter space in the kitchen is seeable.
  • We have clean clothes to wear. (Not to be confused with they were folded and put away.)
  • The scene finally works out in my head.

Mostly the first and last one. (Writing isn't a business for me. This story is a plan. That's all.)

• Like 2

I used to shoot for a half-hour in my one-hour supper break at work and another hour-and-a-half after coming home.

Writing in the break room has become untenable. It's too loud and frenzied now, with the entire unloading crew on break at the same time as I am.

School is out, too. My grandchildren are up at weird hours.

Excuses. I can make the time for prayer, devotional reading, and Bible study. Scanning the science news daily for my blog and social media is part of my process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

Excuses. I can make the time for prayer, devotional reading, and Bible study. Scanning the science news daily for my blog and social media is part of my process.

You know, those aren't excuses- sometimes life just gets in the way!😉