Jump to content

Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Lisa Renee

Kindle Unlimited Verse Ingramspark Self publishing

Recommended Posts

Re: Feedback from self-publishers 

 

How did you find using Kindle Unlimited for sales or those who've tried Ingramspark?

 

I'm thinking that unknown authors are better off using Kindle Unlimited as people on membership look for 'free' books in their desired genre/category. Someone told me they get $4US if the reader reads cover to cover on Kindle Unlimited. It depends on how many pages, so less if they don't finish the book.

 

Any thoughts from those who have experience in sales or lack of sales using these self-publishing routes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you're better off using Kindle Unlimited.  The paybacks are enormous, and you don't get that monthly charge that Ingramspark charges you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's important to keep in mind that if you go with KU, Amazon will demand exclusivity. So you can't publish/sell your eBook anywhere else. This applies to eBooks only. You're still free to sell/publish a print version anywhere.

 

And since you seem to be wanting feedback on KU and Ingramspark, I just wanted to make sure that you understood that KU is only for eBooks. Ingramspark is for print. They are different animals.

 

Many don't like KU because it limits you to Amazon, and the payout rate changes each month. There have also been numerous stories of widespread fraud on KU, perpetrated by unscrupulous authors trying to game the Amazon system. Going "wide" with your eBook allows you to sell not only on Amazon, but other places like Apple, Kobo, B&N, etc.    

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information, Lisa! I hadn't heard of IngramSpark before, but I checked out their site. I learned something today!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - this is all new to me.

 

I self-published a novel a while back. It did OK but, it was only in print. If I wanted to try and get out there via ebook how do I go about this?  No idea. If you don't go through Amazon KU - who else is out there?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shamrock said:

If I wanted to try and get out there via ebook how do I go about this?  No idea. If you don't go through Amazon KU - who else is out there?

 

To clarify, you can publish/sell your eBook through Amazon (Kindle) and not opt into KDP Select (which gets you on KU). This will allow you to publish anywhere else as there is no exclusivity requirement with Amazon Kindle alone. You can set up a free account:

 

 

Other eBook sellers are Apple Books, Barnes & Nobel, Kobo, Google Play Books - or distributors like D2D or Smashwords. All are free! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 2:45 AM, Shamrock said:

OK - this is all new to me.

 

I self-published a novel a while back. It did OK but, it was only in print. If I wanted to try and get out there via ebook how do I go about this?  No idea. If you don't go through Amazon KU - who else is out there?

 

 

As mentioned by others, you don't have to go on the unlimited option, but Kindle Create is a free app which you can download to your computer and its a few clicks to convert to an ebook and can publish straight away. Not much skill needed for this one. But you can't download the file to use elsewhere, it's only linked to Kindle/Amazon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 11:46 PM, Accord64 said:

It's important to keep in mind that if you go with KU, Amazon will demand exclusivity. So you can't publish/sell your eBook anywhere else. This applies to eBooks only. You're still free to sell/publish a print version anywhere.

 

And since you seem to be wanting feedback on KU and Ingramspark, I just wanted to make sure that you understood that KU is only for eBooks. Ingramspark is for print. They are different animals.

 

Many don't like KU because it limits you to Amazon, and the payout rate changes each month. There have also been numerous stories of widespread fraud on KU, perpetrated by unscrupulous authors trying to game the Amazon system. Going "wide" with your eBook allows you to sell not only on Amazon, but other places like Apple, Kobo, B&N, etc.    

 

So are you saying I can have my ebook exclusive to Amazon/Kindle and have my paper back with Ingramspark (which puts it on Amazon too)?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note: There is some incorrect information posted on this thread about IngramSpark. IngramSpark does both Print and eBook distribution. IngramSpark distributes EPUBs to online retailers such as Kobo, Barnes&Noble, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.