Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Matthew Case

other Anyone interested in a cinematic audio reading to help sell books?

Hello all!

I hope this is the right place for this.

I'm not a writer myself but wanted to get some feedback from those who are. I've got years of schooling and experience in the audio production field and recently completed a project with a self-published writer friend from church. I created a "cinematic reading" of the first chapter of his book to give him another way to promote book sales. We are currently discussing turning the whole book into what I'll call a "cinematic audio book" (sfx, original music, different voices for characters, etc..). I'd love to get anyone's feedback on whether they consider this a worthwhile product to have as a writer. I'd love to help other christian writers promote their book in the same way if anyone is at all interested. I've set up a Facebook page (Flying Light Bulb Productions) and an email if you wanted to discuss outside of here (flyinglightbulbprod@gmail.com). Any feedback is certainly welcome! Here's the link if you'd like to take a look:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a good idea. Have you heard of "Focus on the Family"? They did what were called 'dramatized radio versions' of C. S. Lewis' Narnia and Screwtape Letters, George MacDonald's At the Back of the North Wind and about three Last Chance Detectives, as well as with some based on the lives of John Newton (titled Amazing Grace) and Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Not the same as this, but similar. I absolutely loved listening to those on long trips as a kid. 

• Like 1

Wow, I haven't heard of those. I've got some research to do. Thank you for the suggestions Claire! The Chronicles of Narnia were my favorite books growing up. Can't believe I hadn't heard of these!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matthew Case said:

Can't believe I hadn't heard of these!

As far as I know, they're only available through Focus on the Family, so unless you knew about Focus before, I can well believe that you haven't heard of them. 

And you're welcome :D

This idea really appeals to me. Our story lends itself to a dramatized audiobook version. Some day, when our editing is complete, I would be interested in pursuing this. I will definitely flag it for future reference.

Thanks Homer! I'm thrilled you're interested. Thank you for keeping me in mind. I'd love to help bring your book to life in audio form. Mind if I ask, what is your genre?

• Like 1

You are quite welcome Matthew. We have only one story. It is a nonfiction, first person narrative of our experiences in the wilderness of faith. Because it is a real account I feel that dramatization would add a level of appeal for listeners that just straight reading would miss. At this point this is the only work we think we will complete but who knows.

Posted (edited)

When I was an activities director in a nursing home I had access to an audio book library. It included everything from newspapers, to magazine articles, to a variety of books.   I set it up for anyone: the blind, illiterate, mentally challenged. . .   I also set it in comatose residents' rooms. ( I'd had an experience when I was still a teenager that made me believe they could hear us even in a coma.)  I do believe it stimulated their minds, and in one case there is a chance they may have been part of the reason a woman woke up after many, many years in a coma.

Since some of my stories are children's stories, I can naturally see the benefits of audio books in children's hospitals.  I have, also, seen advertisements on television about people involved with various daily activities while enjoying audio books.

So, there are multiple possibilities for this idea, and I would be honored if my books are included on an audio list someday.  I encourage you to continue with your project.

Yep, I definitely will consider using your project to help promote my books when they are marketable.  I think it is a great way to sell books.

Edited by Becky Bradley
added sentence

I love the production quality on this book - sounds great. I might be interested at some point in the future (not anytime soon unfortunately) but I think the real challenge would be to find voice actors who could carry the dialogue - make it sound good. I'll be sure to contact you if/when Im ready for a service like this.