Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Johne

The Hero Believes In Love

From author Steven Pressfield.
https://stevenpressfield.com/2019/07/the-non-zero-sum-character/

If the Villain believes in a zero-sum world, the Hero believes in its opposite.

If the Villain believes in a universe of scarcity, the Hero believes, if not in a world of abundance, then at least in the possibility of such a world.

If the Villain believes in a reality dominated by fear, the Hero believes in one ruled by love.

The Villain is cynical. He or she believes that mankind is inherently evil. The Villain believes in “reality,” in a Hobbesian world of all-against-all.

The Villain is not necessarily “bad” or even “villainous.” In the villain’s eyes, he is the Good Guy. He is simply acting and making choices within a universe of monsters. He must therefore become, in the name of Good (or at least self-preservation or the preservation of those dear to him) a monster himself.

The zero-sum view of life is that of limited resources. Not enough to go around. If you and I want our share (or even simply enough to survive), we must take it from somebody else. However much of the pie we grab, that’s how much less remains for everyone else.

In the non-zero-sum world, on the other hand, resources are infinite. The love a mother gives to her child (and that the child returns) grows greater, the more each loves. There is and can never be a shortage of love.

Compassion is infinite.

Integrity is infinite.

Faith is infinite.

Zero-sum versus non-zero-sum. Which point of view do you believe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johne said:

The zero-sum view of life is that of limited resources. Not enough to go around.

Makes me think of Thanos in Infinity War.

1 hour ago, Johne said:

Compassion is infinite.

Faith is infinite.

I love these two.

1 hour ago, Johne said:

Non-zero-sum :D 

Thanks for sharing, @Johne. Very interesting read.

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, Johne said:

If the Villain believes in a zero-sum world, the Hero believes in its opposite.

This is painting characters in extremes. If you can do this to create authentic protagonists/antagonists, as well as a compelling story, then great! I, however, think it's a bit  more complicated, and characters end up with varying shades of traits that fall between these two points.

Does a hero have to believe in love? Perhaps to some degree. But then there are anti-heroes, who often do the right thing only because it happens to line up with their self-interests. Is self-love a type of love?      

Edited by Accord64
I'm bad at spelling

3 hours ago, Accord64 said:

This is painting characters in extremes. If you can do this to create authentic protagonists/antagonists, as well as a compelling story, then great! I, however, think it's a bit  more complicated, and characters end up with varying shades of traits that fall between the these to points.

I think that Stephen knows that, but is just making the general point.  Or if he doesn't there's room for us to make the point for him! 😉

2 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Doesn't faith end with death for some people?

Sure.

2 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

Do people in hell still have faith?

I think you could argue people in hell never had faith, but whether we all believe that or not, it's clear to me that at a certain point, everyone will believe the truth about reality, but for those in hell it will be too late to do anything about it.