Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

What word did you learn today?

I'm sorry, that reply to the new words post seems to come across wrong. I'm certainly sorry to hear of Alzheimer's. My friend is trying to find her mother help right now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carolyn W said:

I'm sorry, that reply to the new words post seems to come across wrong. I'm certainly sorry to hear of Alzheimer's. My friend is trying to find her mother help right now. 

I'm currently caring for a family member with dementia. It can be hard for others to know what to say and makes for awkward conversations at times, but the support here is amazing! They didn't mean to make you feel bad but were trying to support. 😊 May God bless you, and your friend! 

• Like 2

Well, here is one I just came across in a book I am reading, which interestingly, though not a good story, at least taught me a new word that actually has relevence for us as writers:

amphibology - a phrase or sentence that is gramatically ambiguous, such as she sees more of her children than her husband.

Bad story, good word - go figure

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

I'm so sorry about your dad, QS. :(

21 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Me, too.  Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

Thank you for your concern. It seems that my mother also had it. That's one reason, I believe, that God has made me a scrabble maven and a crossword-holic.

• Like 1

Word today...federalese: awkward, evasive, or pretentious prose said to characterize the publications and correspondence of U.S. federal bureaus. ;)

• Like 2

I just saw this thread, Lynn! I need to get one of those "word of the day" things; I always am looking through the dictionary to discover new words. A writer really needs a thorough knowledge of these things, and it's amazing how many words there are in the English language when we stop and think! 😮

I was reading through the Es last night and came across a couple of words you don't hear often:

evince--to show or reveal.

eviscerate--1. To remove the entrails of. 2. To deprive of vital content or force.

I'll keep looking for more! ;)

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:11 AM, lynnmosher said:

federalese:

This is like a word I heard a longtime ago: medicalese. In both cases,  the language is not understood by anyone not in that particular field.

• Like 1

I'm coming up with nothing but dead ends trying to find a poem that goes:

A widgeon in a wiccassee

Where ne'er a widgeon wants to be.

A woeful widgeon was.

While underneath, in wickiup, 

A Wichita was wont to sup

With other Wichitas...

The poet was describing his process on an audio recording.  He actually opened a dictionary at random and composed a poem based on words he found on that page.

My freshman comp professor always insisted that there was only one right word for any situation.

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

A widgeon in a wiccassee

Where ne'er a widgeon wants to be.

A woeful widgeon was.

While underneath, in wickiup, 

A Wichita was wont to sup

With other Wichitas...

sorry, I tried.  a Widgeon is a type of smaller mallard duck. The Wichita people or Kitikiti'sh are a confederation of Southern Plains Native American tribes. Historically they spoke the Wichita language and Kichai language, both Caddoan languages. They are indigenous to Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas. I assume the wiccassee was a cooking pot or fire?  I really tried, See I'll do anything to avoid writing on my book....oh my bad!!!

A wiccassee is a tree and the definition of widgeon in this dictionary was "a ground-nesting water bird. "

It's a Pulitzer Prize winner with a deep and mellifluous voice.