Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

What word did you learn today?

There are numerous words in English that do not make into our vocabulary. And if we used them in writing, no one would know what they meant. However, throwing in the occasional unknown word is good for us all. Especially if we work in the definition.

I receive dictionary.com's word of the day and sometimes I look at it and sometimes I don't. I was surprised by one a couple of days ago and thought we could start sharing some little known words. Words that might make us think and want to use.

I have two words for you today. We can add a new word any time you feel like it.

1) Everywhen: I didn't even know this was a word! It means what you might think it does: all the time, always.

2) Donnish: bookish, pedantic (bookish, precise, ostentatious in one's learning, overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching)

Okay. Your turn. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

pedantic (bookish, precise, ostentatious in one's learning, overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching)

I think when you have to define a word in the definition, that's one for your list.

• Like 1

"Everywhen" reminds me of a lady I know from the south who says "everwho" in place of "whoever". It makes me laugh when I think about it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chuck Kralik said:

"Everywhen" reminds me of a lady I know from the south who says "everwho"

LOL :D

SW, I didn't either. But I was surprised everywhen was a word. :oops::D

• Like 1

Didn't learn a new word today, but I did stumble across the following gems a few years ago in a dictionary, and they stuck with me:

Donnybrook: A free-for-all. Apparently got the term from the Donnybrook fair in Ireland, where free-for-alls were a common occurrence.

Teratology: the study of monsters. (Well, actually the study of congenital abnormalities, but also including the mythology relating to fantastic creatures).

• Like 1

Sometimers! Some times I 'member, and sometimers I don't! 😉

• Like 1

Awe shucks, Jeff Foxworthy has a whole bunch of them there words.

Like ustacould. I remember when I ustacould do that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Okay. Your turn.

Lynn,

Since you gave us two new words in one post, you obviated (e.g. removed) the need for anyone else to respond today. We can wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1

LOL Ahhh, I think you're right. Unless you count the other word I added making three. So you can wait until Thursday!  xD

• Like 1

So...not waiting 'til tomorrow. Here's today's. I like this one:

Eye-minded: disposed to perceive one's environment in visual terms and to recall sights more vividly than sounds, smells, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Joshua Cartwright said:

Calligram - when a word or words are made to look like the thing they describe. So, the word 'apple could be squashed in the shape of an apple'

OMG, another word I don't know but wish I did!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

And is there an "ear-minded"? Or "tongue-minded"?

LOL You'd think so , wouldn't you? xD But you know what? I just checked and there IS an ear-minded! No tongue though. :D

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:40 PM, Alley said:

Sometimers! Some times I 'member, and sometimers I don't! 😉

My dad used to say this. He was talking about not having Alzheimer's, which he did develop.

• Like 1