Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Claire Tucker

Naming your Novel Blogpost

In case anyone else out there is also wondering what to name their novel:

Naming your Novel

Consider important items--does your story revolve around a magical staff, sword or pendant? For example: "The Staff of Alema," "The Sapphire Sword," or "The Destiny Pendant." (I know these are cheesy but you get the idea).

Consider who your protagonist IS--is it an assassin, a magician, an apprentice, a cat-lady detective? Try working these descriptions into your novel title. For example: "The Assassin's Apprentice" or "The Cat Lady Detective." Even something as simple as your protagonist's name could make a great title. Of course, a name like “Jane Lay” is not going to be very exciting, but “Alice Apricot” or “Izzy Alexander” might be just the ticket.

Consider important concepts, themes, and metaphors--for example, a short story I am writing right now involves themes of meaning and depression and uses apple juice as a metaphor for meaning and happiness. A pivotal moment happens when my character sees sunlight through window blinds--a symbolic instance. I could draw from these things and title my novel, "Apple Juice" or ""Through the Blinds." You can also try drawing from a significant phrase or idea that a character relates.

Write a summary of your story. Keep re-writing it to get it as short as possible. For example, “a girl moves to Kansas City and falls in love” could be shortened to “Love in Kansas City” or even “Kansas Love.” You get the idea.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Does "Problem-Solving Penguins" work?

It probably would, but might be a bit long. How's "Penguin Puzzles"?

• Like 2

So... In conclusion, I need to title my romance novel, "Don't Die." Sounds reasonable! 😄 (yes, that was a joke!) 

• Haha 3

I have titles upon titles upon titles. I might check this out, anyway, though. Could be interesting and helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

"Penguin Puzzles"

Is this supposed to be about penguins who solve mysteries? Maybe say puzzlers instead? *shrugs*

• Like 3

Not to be donnish but Kansas City is in Missouri. There's a Kansas City in Kansas, but our barbecue is better.

• Haha 2

What do people think about "The Eagle and the Dragon" as the name of a fantasy series? Individual books would probably be titled just Book 1, Book 2, etc.

For a quick rundown, the Eagle and Dragon are the symbols of the royal houses of the two people groups at odds with each other in the story. My main character is biracial with a parent from each royal house.

I've had this story in my head for thirteen years (lol I know, why don't I write it already) but could never think of a name. I came up with it a few months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenName said:

"The Eagle and the Dragon"

I like it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 2:00 AM, PenName said:

The Eagle and the Dragon

Ohhh ... this could be fun! Go for it!

22 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

What about choosing titles for Christian novels?

I would say that you still want to follow the guidelines, as a book title is a book title. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, Alley said:

So... In conclusion, I need to title my romance novel, "Don't Die." Sounds reasonable! 😄 (yes, that was a joke!) 

First line from one of my projects.

• Like 1