Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Revising Your Manuscript in Scrivener

I couldn't understand yWriter so for $40, Scrivener was a cheap alternative and I'm glad I did!  Especially with this new Windows update!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I don't even remember how much yWriter costs.

yWriter is free. I prefer Scrivener but yWriter is a fine substitute if you don't have the $45 (I think it's gone up a smidge since I bought my copies).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it free?! I didn't realize that.

I sometimes try new writing methods/programs because I feel like I'm "stuck in a rut" if I write with one for too long. Right now, though, I'm very happy/content with what I have.

• Like 2

And ... to be honest ... I don't think I'll revise my WIP. I'm a perfectionist, see, and try really hard to get it right the first time. 😮 😕:D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I'm a perfectionist, see, and try really hard to get it right the first time.

This isn't recommended. Everyone I read says to use creative momentum to get the first draft down and then go back and polish and fill in the gaps.

• Like 1

This is why completing NaNoWri was so important for me - it gave me the permission to write messy and just get wordcount in. By maintaining persistent, daily, positive wordcount I was able to free myself from the impulse to perfection at first blush. By making regular forward movement the Muse was able to come during the work and was surprised and delighted by what popped up.

• Like 2

Makes complete sense. And that's what I've been trying to do. I write by hand first and then as I'm typing it on the computer I can do some editing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I write by hand first and then as I'm typing it on the computer I can do some editing.

I get that.

• Like 2

Yes, yWriter is free and open source. You can register for a small fee which gives you access to support services and the Android app is available for a small fee as well. 

It plays well with Dropbox and Google Docs, but I got it for its compatibility with LibreOffice, part of the Linux kernel I'll be running on my Raspberry Pi.

That may be moot since my daughter is done with her Lenovo touchscreen desktop. It's running Windows 10 and a factory reset would probably deal with other issues. 

I have yWriter and I just couldn't make heads or tails of it.  This is why I stick with Scrivener- besides the publishing aspects of it I find it easy to use.  Sorry, I don't mean to put yWriter down, I just have a hard time with it.  Scrivener is hard to learn to use, though, that would be its only downside, but boy is it worth it when you learn it!

Reviewers said it was hard to learn. I had to have a pdf of the tutorial on my phone while I used it on my laptop.