Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Revising Your Manuscript in Scrivener

1 hour ago, Shamrock said:

Is Scrivener a writing program?

I use it.  It is beyond powerful and flexible.  Highly recommended, and not too expensive either!  

• Like 1

I take that as a yes then. 

I use  ProWRite Aid and I have to say it has definitely helped.

I really like using Scrivener - for the most part, anyway - but I'm sure this will be helpful.

Thanks for sharing, Mrs. Mosher!!

I use yWriter because, well, free! Toggling from draft to note is eluding me, probably because I'm trying to keep the tutorial open at the same time.

I’m still writing in Open Office! I need to get Scrivner. I don’t know how many times I’m going to tell myself that before I actually do it. 😂

• Like 1

I tried using Scrivener today (30-day trial) and ran for the hills after 10 minutes. 😂 I know it's amazing, but I think I need to take Scrivener 101 and possibly 202 first.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PenName said:

and ran for the hills after 10 minutes. 😂 I know it's amazing, but I think I need to take Scrivener 101 and possibly 202 first.

Lol. Think I’d be in the same boat. o_O 

Edited by Sophie
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

There are numerous tutorials out there.

I know. 😜 I think part of the problem is I'm not at the point where I feel I really need it just yet since my current WIPs don't have massive worldbuilding, which is what I think I would use it for. So maybe I'm not willing to devote time to the tutorials yet. 😂 I'll probably need it eventually for my fantasy or sci-fi stories, at which time I'll have to dive in again. 

When I began NaNoWriMo in 2004, I started in a Notepad-like app just to get text on a page. I switched to Word when I wanted a way to get the automatic word count, and switched again to FrameMaker so I could assemble chapters in a book and have more control over the text.

The next time I competed was 2014 and I used Scrivener that time around and it made all the difference. Scrivener uses small .RTF files under the hood which I can drag and drop in the book tree structure which makes it easy for me to write a scene at any time and figure out where it goes later. I can drop the scene down in the Research section until I'm ready for it and then drag it up into the novel when I know where it will end up.

Furthermore, I heavily use the Characters feature as a place to keep track of my large and growing cast of misfits. Every time I introduce a new character I'll go down to the Character file and dash down their name and a short description. The more I use Scrivener, the I wonder how I ever got along without it.

image.png.32056d5f50e39eb8e05eeb8edbfce2a2.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That is exactly what I need it for, @Johne! I have a huge cast in my fantasy story and when I do work on it it's always out of order. Maybe I'll just start putting my fantasy stuff in there when I work on it (which is only occasionally).

Edited by PenName
  • Like 1

I use yWriter, open-source and free, with Google Docs (advertiser supported).  The fonts tend to jump around when I log in or out ( probably because of something I'm doing wrong) but they all even out when I export them. 

So I use this to keep track of the changes I make to the files.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

I use yWriter

Our own K.M. Weiland used yWriter for many years and really liked it. 

14 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

I use yWriter,

I've considered using yWriter, but never have.