Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I have a large cast of stuffed animal characters in my story. What color are most stuffed animals? Half of those characters are teddy bears. What color are most teddy bears? With a large cast of stuffed animals, that means the only way anyone can differentiate them, (in the beginning), is by their color. But most aren't "brown." They're shades of brown.

One's honey-brown, another is coffee, another is coffee-and-cream, and another  is cream. See the problem? Too much food! I blame this on hair dye. Most of their colors are food related too. Does anyone know where I can find descriptions of shades of brown sans food? 

I'm hungry. :$

• Like 2

Ooo, forgot to mention -- it's MG (middle graders), so has to be words they'd understand. (I don't even think I'd get "beaver," if used as a color.)

• Like 2

Wow, Lynn. That's a lot of choices.

Spaulding, I hope some of those work.

Books used to sometimes have illustration inside the front cover and the back cover. Could you (probably it would be expensive) have a colored picture of each bear with its name underneath? 

• Like 2

I just counted. 17 named stuffies, and 16 of them are "brown." 

Erin Hunter had it worse. They, (it's written by several writers, but Warriors is a very long series), counted too. 451 cats. They do have a characters list at the beginning of the books. I am considering this, but colored illustrations would cross into multiple pages. (Also three people in the story. More of both stuffies and people throughout the series.)

I did make fun of the color problem in one scene. The mentor/stuffed basset hound wanted to be called ginger, however when the MC asked the boy if he knew what ginger was, the boy answered, "Ale?" So the MC went with red.

I do have a picture of the three main characters. From left to right: Spaulding -- honey brown, Teddy -- coffee, and Phil -- cream. I'm hoping an illustrator can use this picture to draw a cover.

February (2).jpg

• Like 2

They come in lots of candy colors too. My son had a purple soft toy for a long time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zee said:

They come in lots of candy colors too. My son had a purple soft toy for a long time.

A TY bear? Spaulding is TY too, but before they made beanie babies. I bet your son's bear is more like Phil -- except purple and slightly shorter fur. And, knowing my propensity towards choosing food to describe color, I'd probably name a purple bear Grape. xD

One of the background bears in the story was a rainbow bear. I bet you saw bears in that color when you picked out the purple one.

(I had a blast researching bears to write this book. :D)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What a cute idea for a story, Spaulding! You know, some of the best creativity for a writer comes through writing children's books. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Art is sort of a hobby of mine; so I may be a possible candidate for your illustrations. But I can't make any promises; despite what other people think, I'm really not that great. 😉

Edited by Erin Cook
Serious Spelling Error!!!
  • Like 1