Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
KR LaLonde

Independence Day blues

I keep setting what I think are pretty decent goals. Finish a story by next year. Get something completed (if not critiques & edited) by a certain date. Like today. I keep wanting to have something for July 4 that I can celebrate even if I am in French Canada.

But...

• Like 3

Some things don't come when WE think they should. Perhaps GOD has another plan. Be patient and wait on on Him. It will be better, His way always is. So don't sweat it.

• Like 6

@Bob Leone, I don't usually celebrate Canada's Independence Day, although I probably should. Most holidays that once held special meaning to people have pretty much lost all of their appeal over the years.

@zx1ninja, I don't know what God's plan for me could possibly be. Maybe He doesn't want me writing at all. None of my work has really been that good. Nothing has ever been completed, anyway. But you're right. His way wins in any contest.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I don't know what God's plan for me could possibly be. Maybe He doesn't want me writing at all. None of my work has really been that good. Nothing has ever been completed, anyway. But you're right. His way wins in any contest.

I used to think the same way. Still do sometimes. But then i tell myself, what are you supposed to learn or do? Wait on the Lord.

• Like 4

Yea, not my strong point either. 😖 But it will be worth it, of that I'm sure.

• Like 4

Hi, KR.  I'd say that if you have a message that God has laid upon your heart, then share it.  Don't let anything keep you from it.  Keep writing, and don't give up!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chuck Kralik said:

if you have a message

I believe I do. Several, in fact. The thing is, I don't think I could possibly combine all of them or most of them into one or two books. They're too in depth for that.

Also, I do intend to keep trying. After all, quitting never did anything.

• Like 4

Hey, @KR LaLonde, keep at it! 

I was reading over this thread, and it reminded me of a verse.  2 Corinthians 12:9: "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

I'll be the first to admit that my writing is weak at best, but God can use even it to His glory.  And He will do the same for you.  :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

That helped some.

Verses tend to do that :D

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I keep setting what I think are pretty decent goals. Finish a story by next year. Get something completed (if not critiques & edited) by a certain date. Like today. I keep wanting to have something for July 4 that I can celebrate even if I am in French Canada.

But...

My dad took off the beginning of July for our annual vacation, and, sure enough, we'd go to a lake in Ontario to fish. No one celebrates the 4th in Canada. They celebrate the first. So, our traditional Independence Day celebration was an emergency road flare thrown into the lake. (It still burns under water like a sparkler, so worked great for kids. lol) If you have a road flare and a lake... xD

(Oh, come on. Tell me I didn't get you to smile at least. Better yet, a little chuckle.)

And, if you just want a little sense of American patriotism in Canada, see if this video doesn't make you proud to be an American. 

• Like 5

I smiled about it, yes. Neat idea. I'm glad it worked for you. :)

Thanks for the video. I like Red SKelton clips.

• Like 5

Red Skelton was a brilliant entertainer, and a common sense guy. He made a lot of sense, there a very few that are as good was he was.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

Wow, flares in the lake-how cool.  I've got to see that someday!  It won't hurt the fish, will it?  

I am barely old enough to remember Red Skelton, but I was so impressed with him even as a little girl.  He had that special quality that you knew instantly came from God. He was a great human. . .a great patriot. . .and a great Christian (as you can see in the video).  One of the things that impressed me was how he could get his values and views across in such a gentle way that it did not push people away, but drew them to him.  And  I believe they listened or his show would not have been as popular as it was for so long--years, if I remember right. 

I just tried to read through a forum on southern phrases and accents for one of my books.  I said (tried) because between the vulgarity and all out hostility between northerners and southerners, it was almost as if the Civil War was churning, again.

Why can't people understand, it is through gentleness, understanding, patience and love that we get our ideas and points across--not hate and prejudice.

Red Skelton had it right.  A long time dead now, but we could still learn so much from him--most of all how to live as a Christian that others can see.

You may have heard the phrase, "You may be the only Bible someone reads".  I don't know for sure where it originated from, but someone told me that was her motto almost 40 years ago. I adopted it and told others in churches I attended about it.  Over 30 years later, I heard it on TBN's 'Praise the Lord'.  I asked the woman where it came from and she told me she couldn't really remember, but thought it had dropped in her heart from the Holy Spirit.  Whether I can truthfully say that she was the source or not; it is still a good motto to live by.  Without knowing it, each of us may be "The only Bible someone reads".

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

My dad took off the beginning of July for our annual vacation, and, sure enough, we'd go to a lake in Ontario to fish. No one celebrates the 4th in Canada. They celebrate the first. So, our traditional Independence Day celebration was an emergency road flare thrown into the lake. (It still burns under water like a sparkler, so worked great for kids. lol) If you have a road flare and a lake... xD

(Oh, come on. Tell me I didn't get you to smile at least. Better yet, a little chuckle.)

And, if you just want a little sense of American patriotism in Canada, see if this video doesn't make you proud to be an American. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

Waiting?!

UGH!

KR, I am a horrible waiter. When I want something to happen, I want it to happen yesterday! I am the most impatient person ever! 

But God will help you develop a patient character, just like everything else. I have always been partial to a song Dallas Holm wrote a number of years ago on this matter; perhaps you'll find some encouragement with it:

Waiting

Can't see the light at the end of the tunnel

Can't see that far down the road

Waiting in darkness, I'm tempted to stumble

Weary from bearing this load

Desperately weighing all of my options

Scheming to find my own way

But after all of my planning is over,

This is the most I can say

Lord, I'm waiting

Lord, I'm waiting

And I'm not gonna move 

Till I'm able to prove Your will

Lord, I'm waiting

Lord, I'm waiting

Listening for Your with my heart

Lord, it's so easy to find a solution,

Something that seems right to me

But plans that are borne out of my own confusion

Will not help my blind eyes to see

All of the steps that You've laid out before me

Steps that are Yours and not mine

So I'll be content just to wait in Your presence

Patiently biding Your time

Repeat Chorus

Lord, I have need of patience

Help my to rest in You

I am detained in my weakness

There's not a thing I can do

Repeat Chorus

Oh, I'm listening for You

With my heart

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

a song Dallas Holm wrote

I'll look him up on YouTube. The name sounds familiar.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

KR: One thing I have learned in my life is that everything is a process. In order for things to make it through the correct process, there are certain steps that we have to go through, getting a new pastor, buying a new car or a house, getting a new job, writing  book, even finding a market for magazine articles all these. I know, this is a hard thing to wait. As children, we had to wait for Christmas, our birthdays, summer vacation, etc. As adults, we also have to wait for a new job, for that special guy to propose marriage, then possibly for a baby to be born, for a closing date on the purchase of a home. We have to trust God for the waiting period that we have to go through. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

everything is a process

Don't I know it.

32 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

there are certain steps that we have to go through

I have lived this quite often in my life.

still despise having to wait. Though I've become more patient (IMO) since my TBI.

• Like 3