Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Hello! I am new to Christian Writers and would like to know if I should use a literary agent for a Christian book I am writing. I have self published 3 children’s books. One that received honorable mention in the Paris book festival a few years ago. I am concerned that most publishers will not take a look at my book without an agent. Any thoughts?? Thank you so very much! I am a nurse practitioner who absolutely loves writing and want to expand my world with other authors. I appreciate any guidance. 

• Like 4

While I don't have an answer for you there are others can tell you their experiences. But I've heard both ways work, so it depends on your goals. 

• Like 3

Hi, Kymberly!

The moderators will ask you to hop over to the "meets and greets" page ASAP. 

The transition from self-published to traditional publication is easier with an agent. You have credits and awards to cite in your query letter, which is a plus.

We can help you with your social media platform and we have other resources.

Welcome!

• Like 4

Hi Kymberly! Welcome to Christian Writers! :D

While I don't know much about using an agent, I'm sure others on here will be able to help you. But from all of us here, welcome aboard! :)

• Like 2

Yes, if you're going to seek publication with the bigger companies, you will need an agent. There are a few small publishers that will accept submissions without an agent. We've discussed this before. I don't remember when that was. I'll try to find the thread/s but in the meantime, you can search through the writing forum. And yes, I hope you'll jump over to Meet and Greet. :D

• Like 2

Just be careful. There are "publishers" out there who will publish your book for nice round numbers (hefty ones)Some time back someone (probably Lynn, she knows everything) listed some sites that name the baddies. I have no idea what the thread was.

And welcome aboard.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

someone (probably Lynn, she knows everything)

LOL Kymberly, don't believe Carolina. I just get a lot of emails! xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Kymberly, there used to be a great site that listed all the publishers to avoid but this one (Writer Beware) has a list. The list of thumbs down publishers is here.  Another on vanities is here. There are other links on the site. Just pay no attention that it is part of a sci-fi site. :D

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, Kymberly Miller Renkoski said:

You were correct!!😄

Once in a while I am. I try not to make a habit of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

"Comma Queen, " she is. Strong the force of her blue pencil is.

She and I are two commas in a pod! LOL xD My nickname around here used to be Comma Momma! Now, I bow to the Comma Queen! :D

• Like 2