Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Writer4Jesus

Poor Man's Copyrighting

Hi everyone!  I've heard that "Poor Man's Copyrighting" is a good thing to do.  I did some research on the internet, when I was first starting out and it says that the first draft that you write is considered as your copyright as well.

Has anyone used the "Poor Man's Copyrighting"?  And how did it work for you?  Is it really a legitimate thing to do to protect your work (will it stand up in court)?

I'm open to any and all comments/suggestions at this time, please.  Thank you in advance!:)

• Like 1

We've had this conversation many times. And a couple times recently. Here's one. There are several ways you can do this. You can email it to yourself. Mail it snail mail and don't open it. But those who have finished a project will usually pay for the copyright. Because...there are plenty of pirates out there yo-ho-ho-ing after they grab your work. So if you ever have to go to court, you have the copyright on your side. :)

• Like 2

Forgot to say. As soon as you write something, it is considered copyrighted. It just isn't registered.

• Like 2

Registration isn't hard, at least in the US, and it's only, in my case, $55.00.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

Registration isn't hard, at least in the US, and it's only, in my case, $55.00.

What does the process look like? What are the requirements? Thanks

Has anyone considered what happens if copyright becomes an issue?

I knew a man, (friend of a friend), who was retired and writing his first novel. We were on the same social network that had a group for writers. He posted it chapter-by-chapter for critiques, and one of the men helping him loved it. Everyone helped him make it better.

When he was done posting it, the man who loved it asked him if he'd like him to go over it again to help him out. Sure! Who wouldn't? So the old man sent the ms through snail mail to the guy. It was the last time he heard from him.

Three years later, the old man took a trip to Germany and was browsing a book store and saw the title he used for his ms. It wasn't just the title. It was the novel.

So, he contacted the publishers, who told him they represented the writer. When he told them it was his book, they stopped printing more, but what else could they do?

The old man sued the plagiarist, but it had to go through the German courts, since it was a book in Germany. It cost him $7000 to sue, but he won. He won $3000, (the amount of money the book earned), and his book back. What he couldn't get back was first-rights, so it wasn't sellable anymore.

And that was the end of his writing career.

Yes, we can protect our copyright. However, in the long run, the only thing that does is give us a case, if our story becomes a best seller.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RRRecardoe said:

Would you agent help with a copyright?

No. But since you would have an agent, this assumes you're going with a traditional publisher and they would acquire/register the copyright for you.

RR, I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :)

All I can think of about your name is Ricky Ricardo! LOL xD