Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Spaulding

Strange Things to Say to God

Have you ever caught yourself praying, and the words catch you as a strange thing to say to God? I wouldn't mind if you told some of them too, because I just laughed in mid-sentence. This is what I was praying:

"Thank you, Lord, that John slept last night. If you don't mind..."

"If you don't mind?" Would God do anything he does mind? What? Is he sitting there just thinking about stuff willy nilly like we do here, and I'm asking for a whim he hadn't thought of before? Did this just go down on his Honey-Do-List? xD

Another one that catches me sometimes. "O Lord." I do get the ones who wrote the Bible wrote those words too, (or linguistically-equal words.) But I've never "O'd" anyone in my life, other then the Lord.  O Husband. O Dad. O doctor. O plumber. If I ever did, I'd get some strange looks. 

Anyone else ever notice some strange things you've said to God? (Please, please, because I don't want to be the only person who does this. :$)

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, quietspirit said:

Yes, I say strange things to God ;however He understands what I mean or why I say them.

I do think I give the Lord a few chuckles throughout the day. I figure that's better than moaning and whining all the time. (Not to say I haven't done my fair share of moaning and whining too.) 

• Like 6

I've read about Saint Augustine, who admitted, that before he gave his life over to the Lord entirely, he actually prayed, "Lord give me chastity; but not right away."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

I've read about Saint Augustine, who admitted, that before he gave his life over to the Lord entirely, he actually prayed, "Lord give me chastity; but not right away."

When I came to the Lord, he taught me patience was a good thing, so I asked for it. Big. Regret!

The only way to gain patience is to go through stuff that requires patience. And, whenever I gain a little of it, all he does is force more of it. I'm no good at it and I hate it.

God gives no do-overs. Once he says Yes, he won't un-yes. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I reflect on all the times I ever secretly desired a sign... I don't think I ever asked for one...

But you know how prayers of the heart are... They're mostly unspoken...

As I've matured in my faith I'm embarrassed about how little trust I actually had.

• Like 3

sometimes when I've prayed, I said something out of the clear blue that had not even entered my mind before.  I've learned that it must be the Holy Spirit prompting me because it usually was a necessary prayer for someone or something later that day. case in point; I don't remember (now) what I said a few days ago, but as I was pondering it at work I got a phone call.  the mysterious prayer request covered my daughter, her baby and husband.  it was honored and literally saved their lives and possibly countless others when a mechanic's mistake caused the car to come apart (ball/joint barrings, axle and all)  just before they crossed a ramp to get onto a highway. PTL!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Several years ago my refrigerator broke down.  I'd been out of the house all morning.  When I got back and opened the fridge's door, I found that the electricity had shut off.  The light didn't switch on, and the freezer was defrosting.  Water was dripping all over the food on the lower shelves.  This could have turned into a serious crisis.  All the food might have become spoiled and I'd have had to throw it all out.  Then I'd have had to buy a new refrigerator; which would have obviously been very expensive.  

I was getting desperate.  I know this sounds silly, but I placed my hand on the fridge and prayed.

I said, "Lord, please heal my refrigerator, so I won't have to buy a new one.  In Jesus Name.  Amen."

Then I added, "Or should I use the word 'repair'?"

Then, the moment I spoke those words, the electricity came back on, and the fridge continued operating properly for a very long time after that. 

My refrigerator received healing through the laying on of hands?

Praise the Lord!  Amen. 

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 3