Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

I reported on time and was selected for a complex lawsuit. The lawyers seemed to think it would be four days of testimony, much of it concerning insurance standards and practices.

The question: " Is there anyone here who may have a moral objection to an attempt to making an insurance company pay out more than the amount for which the client was insured?"

Juror number 43: "The plaintiff was not the client?"

"No. Ms. [Jane Doe] obtained a judgment against the insurance company's client and he assigned his right to recover from the insurance company to her."

The case was well-publicized and the client was a student at a Catholic high school at the time of the incident. "And therefore he was, at least nominally, a Christian, " Number 43 continued. "I assume that many of the executives are also professing Christians.

" I'm a pastor, and the Bible teaches that Christians are to settle their differences outside the court system. So my objection isn't so much about the amount of money as it is that people who claim to be Christian have to go to court rather than work it out personally."

I wish I'd said that. It sounded like a wonderful reason to be excused from serving on a jury. All I had was a horror story of how the lawyer we had consulted for an eviction represented our landlord as she sued for damages. 

So it's five-thirty and the last bus home is leaving in ten minutes. And the lawyers are still in a private meeting with the judge. I can't get a signal or tap into the courthouse wi-fi to arrange a ride home.

But they finally called us back. " It doesn't matter where you sit this time."

When we had finally assembled, the judge addressed us. "The parties have come to an agreement and you are dismissed. You will receive full credit for your service today."

• Like 3

A life lesson and the per diem was twice as much as I expected.

Short story fodder? I'm working on it.

• Like 3

I teach incarcerated youth at a Juvenile Detention Center... So much of what I see could be handled more appropriately by the justice system... I feel like you identify a similar flaw...we place our faith (our desire for justice) in quite the wrong authority...

I feel similarly about modern medicine...

I am working to be more prayerful in times of distress rather than rushing into discourse with others about my issues.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 2:50 PM, Scribewriter said:

I am working to be more prayerful in times of distress rather than rushing into discourse with others about my issues

Amen! I also have learned to be more prayerful about those issues that prick my soul.

• Like 2