Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
David Love

Hello! (Publisher info)

Hello Christian writers!

I joined Christian Writers last month after I realized that the information, support and resources in CW was top notch.

I was taken aback by David Gaughran's Elm Hill Books: Another HarperCollins Vanity Press, to say the least. I was looking into using Elm Hill to publish a book I've written, but am so glad that I read Mr. Gaughran's article first!

It sounds like WestBow and perhaps Xulon Publishers, which I've done some research on, are no better.

I also just read about the guy (sorry...I don't remember his name) that sent his book to 57 different publishers!! I admire his effort, but have to ask if it's really even possible for a first-time author to get published in the traditional sense.

I'd love any feedback that anyone has regarding book publishing for first-timers!

Thank you,

David Love

• Like 2

Hello, David. I moved your thread here as it is more of a writing question than an introduction. I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :D

• Like 3

Oops! Meant to add that to help you get an agent, you need to be sure your story has been edited to its best. Be sure to study how to write a proper proposal. And be sure to study the guidelines for each agent you sent your manuscript to. :D

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, David Love said:

I also just read about the guy (sorry...I don't remember his name) that sent his book to 57 different publishers!! I admire his effort, but have to ask if it's really even possible for a first-time author to get published in the traditional sense.

First, welcome to CW!

I'm independently published, so I can't offer direct experience in the traditional publishing route. However, from what I understand from my fellow traditionally published authors, you typically send your book (or "query") to agents. Most publishers want to deal with agents, and not directly with authors. So the order is to find an agent first, then they will find a publisher.

But these days there are exceptions. Many small (or micro) publishers have popped up who are willing to deal directly with authors.

Then there's the independent route (self-published), which many have turned to.

So you have options.

• Like 3

Thank you Lynn and Accord64 for your publishing advice. I'm really new to all of this, so I definitely value everything both of you said.

Lynn, thank you, too, for moving my thread.

Blessings!

• Like 2

Welcome to the journey, David.  We are all somewhere along the path to making our words known. 

The best advice I know is, get involved in community.  Lots of communities!  People are your audience and you find people in the oddest places.  Online is wide, the neighbourhood is a little narrower.  Get out there and talk to people about themselves.  Then you can slip your book under their radar!  

• Like 3

On 6/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, David Love said:

if it's really even possible for a first-time author to get published in the traditional sense.

It's possible. 'Tain't easy, and I've heard the number go as high as 150 plus. However, part of the problem is finding an agent/publisher interested in your specific kind of story. Don't just send out to any and every agent/publisher. Check out what they publish. Do as much research on them as you do for your book.

And welcome aboard.

• Like 2

Adding my two cents to the conversation... I am aiming for the traditional route of publishing. My journey has been this so far.

1. Write your novel and read novels in your genre.

2. Join a writing community depending on the genre of your book. Mine is SCWBI for children’s books.

3. Go to critique groups to help revise your book. Or find a critique partner. (I did the critique group.)

4. Attend workshops to hone your craft. (Online workshops are available.)

5. Revise! Revise! Revise!

6. Research agents and agencies. Check mswl website (manuscript wishlist) for what agents are looking for. Choose at least 10 agents, follow them on twitter to see how they work with authors and if you’ll be a good fit.

7. Write your query letter and synopsis. Most submissions require these. (I’m in this stage)

Added tip: join pitmad or PitchWars where you pitch your work on twitter and the agents find you... which means you need to make an elevator pitch.

Best of luck! If God wants it, it will happen. Heard this yesterday: we are not the Word. God is the Word but he uses us for his voice. Like John the Baptist, a voice crying out in the desert.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L. Wong said:

Best of luck! If God wants it, it will happen. Heard this yesterday: we are not the Word. God is the Word but he uses us for his voice. Like John the Baptist, a voice crying out in the desert.

Nicely put, L. Wong!

• Like 2

Thanks Nicola, carolinamtne and L. Wong for taking the time to respond, and for the great advice that each of you offered!! I very much appreciate it! :)

• Like 2

Hi! First, let me take this opportunity to say welcome, I am so glad you decided to join our writing community! I'm newer here myself, so as for your question, I'm no expert in the field. But you'll find the best of the best in help here; I'm learning something new every day, and I'm positive I'll be able to find the right publisher for my works with their help. So feel free to ask away! :)

• Like 1

Hey, David! Sorry I'm late to the party! Welcome! Best of wishes on your writing! God bless! :D

• Like 1

If you don't mind my asking, what genre do you write?

• Like 1

Thank you Erin and Sarah for your replies! I am glad that I found this community, and have enjoyed everything about it so far!

With regard to what genre I write, I mostly enjoy poetry - rhyming and non-rhyming. My poems typically focus on the presence of God - His majesty/Glory/goodness, etc. I'll never run out of things to say, that's for sure!!

Blessings,

David