Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Synopsis Writing

I am trying to write my novel's synopsis.  I know it  needs to be 1- page ideally (possibly 2 pages for UK agents). And quite frankly I am struggling. I need help. One possible avenue would be to use a writing service to edit it down/revise. Has anyone gone down this route?

12 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

No, I never even thought there was such a thing!

I've heard about it in screenwriting, and how that is done, but not so much about novels. I found this https://www.dailywritingtips.com/how-long-should-a-synopsis-be/

Unlike a blurb, I think the synopsis (is for the agent) and summarizes the major points of the story, plot twists, and gives away things you would usually keep from the reader. 😲  Maybe?

@Shamrock, I haven't ever written one, but I hope you get it figured out!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, Shamrock said:

I am trying to write my novel's synopsis.  I know it  needs to be 1- page ideally (possibly 2 pages for UK agents). And quite frankly I am struggling. I need help. One possible avenue would be to use a writing service to edit it down/revise. Has anyone gone down this route?

Writing the first draft of my novel was the easiest thing I've done in this whole process of "I want to write a book." Making it good, (reworking, then editing it), was so incredibly hard, I was sure it couldn't get harder.

Ummm, yeah, the query made that seem like a dessert party. It really was the hardest thing I ever wrote. 

BUT, good news -- the 1 page synopsis was easier than anything I've done up to this point. I had a great cheat sheet that even gave me an example I could relate to. (I so hate it when the example given is from some book I've never read, nor ever want to read. This example isn't from any book. It's the first Star Wars movie, aka "A New Hope.")

I don't blame you for passing off something that seems too hard to do, but try this page first. Because I think you can do a synopsis by using it as your cheat sheet. (Worse that happens, is you spend a couple of days with fond memories of Star Wars. xD)

How to Write A 1-Page Synopsis

thank you Spualding. I spoke to a friend of mine who gave some advice too. Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaulding said:

I don't blame you for passing off something that seems too hard to do, but try this page first. Because I think you can do a synopsis by using it as your cheat sheet. (Worse that happens, is you spend a couple of days with fond memories of Star Wars. xD)

Thanks Spaulding, I tried writing the synopsis anew using the guidelines from the website article you provided the link for.

I got it down to 1.5 pages. A significant improvement on the original 4-page synopsis. :)  Excellent cheat sheet.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the cheat sheet for creating a synopsis, Spaulding! Any cheat sheets for query pitches which ask an author not to reveal the ending like in a synopsis?

Thanks Spaulding!  I've added it to my bookmarks.  

Scrivener has a great aid to synopsis writing.