Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

My mouth has been aching for over three weeks now. No abscesses, no inflammation, not "a tooth," because the whole mouth hurts. It hit shortly before my cold hit, so I assumed it was part of the cold. By the time the cold was passed off to hubby, and then returned to me, I knew it wasn't the cold, but I didn't want the dentist stuck working in a cold-infested mouth, so I held off calling, until the cold was over.

It's connected to eating anything that's not room temperature, since cold watermelon hurt so much, I thought I was allergic to watermelon. And then when I ate other cold fruit the same thing happened. Warm dinner has the same effect. It is bad enough I did call the dentist yesterday, so naturally the office was closed. Called again this morning, only to find out they aren't open on the weekend. The answering machine said to leave a message, if it was an emergency. It was yesterday and this morning, so I left a message. Back down to not-so-bad right now, but no one has called back. (Five hours later.) Two can't-miss doctor appointments next week, plus can't-miss food shopping either.

Bad enough it woke me up this morning. Very thankful it's down to not-so-bad now. Please pray the dentist can figure out the cause, because I have no idea how he can when it's not a tooth. It's the whole mouth. And please pray it stays down to not-so-bad until it can be dealt with. I considered going to the ER earlier, but I've done that often during another time in my life, and know that usually means spending six to eight hours waiting around for doctor or test results only to be told to go home, because nothing is wrong. (Apparently bad pain is "nothing is wrong." :eek:)

• Like 2

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry. The only thing I can think of is sinus infection or TMJ. Praying you get this fixed quickly. 🧡

• Like 3

I thought I should update. 

We were broke for 20 years, so only saw dentist to pull teeth. I'm 63 and my mouth looks just like what you'd expect it to look like under those circumstances. When Dad died last year, we received a nice inheritance, but not all at once. Any which way, we've hit middle-class again and should stay here for quite some time.

Since then, I've dealt with other issues in my life -- hubby needed full dentures, we needed a car, and I needed a hearing aid and a chiropractor. Notice what I didn't need, yet. Dentist.

Now I'll be getting a partial, but first 10 teeth have to come out. (And most of them are ones that show.) Fortunately, pain level has lowered. I've had enough practice with tooth pain over the last 20 years to know it will go away either by teeth dying or removed. Either way, the pain does leave eventually, and this time I think it will happen by teeth being removed.

BUT, it's going to be a long year. Hubby is 9 years older than I am, so I know how hard it will be to eat with so many missing teeth. It takes 3-6 months for the gums to heal after a back tooth is pulled. Shorter for front teeth. I am headed for a very interesting holiday season come the end of this year.

Eventually, I will have something I haven't had in decades. A laugh without a tinge of embarrassment. I laugh easily anyway, but it will be nice to know no one is noticing those bad teeth.

• Like 2

Praying for you, dear one. May the Lord bring relief and allow you to smile comfortably once again. 🧡

• Like 2

Swish some Listerine and drink some warm mint tea.  My wife has occasional mouth pain when under stress.  She found that she clenches her jaw tightly when she sleeps.  Give yourself some self-care/self-love.

I'll certainly be praying for your comfort also!

Humbly,

SW

• Like 1

Scribewriter, I, too, clench my teeth sometimes but I taught myself to place my tongue between my teeth when I sleep. Really helps. Just thought I'd pass that along. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I come from a whole family of jaw-clenchers! :)

My grampa used to clench his teeth when he would think deeply about things. Now my mom clenches her jaw in her sleep; I actually think I'm a jaw-clencher myself!

• Like 1