Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Effects of Drugs on the Body

For those who are interested, here are the effects of several types of drugs. 

14c219a2b7ebf8a40cd268dde4e48914.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remind me not to dabble in those!  But I'll keep them in mind for my characters.

In my Leoshine books, she is drugged by her brother to make her seem magical and prophetic.  Like the Oracle of Delphi.  This information will help me explain her side effects.  

When she is given an antidote, the chemical acts like a chelating agent, binding to hard metals in her blood and creating a poison that her physicians have to race to her death.  

Thanks Alley, again!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicola said:

Remind me not to dabble in those!  But I'll keep them in mind for my characters.

DITTO!

Do y'all really need the reminder? (Picture an are you serious, motherly face here.) 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

(sheepish grin) No, ma!

*give stern look* Good! Now, who wants blueberry pie? 😜

13 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

cookies

😍 COOKIES!!!! 

Posted (edited)

In theory, we can now post the pictures smaller. Let me try.

Oh well, bigger cookies are better anyway.

Cookies.png

Edited by carolinamtne
  • Like 2

I'm looking for caffeine on the Drug List. Maybe I'm just too jittery and nervous to see it!

• Like 2

Some times drugs are a good thing. And sometimes all the side effects don't happen.

Despite the over-saturation lately about "the opioid crisis," 97% of those given opioids to combat pain, (usually temporarily after surgery, but sometimes for chronic pain, like me), do not become addicted to it. 3% do. Alley, your list above is for people who become addicted to the drugs. Just like not everyone who drinks becomes an alcoholic, not everyone who takes opioids becomes an addict.

There is dependency, if it is used for longer than a week, but that is different than addiction. With dependency, the body accepts it as a need, and goes through withdraw if cut off. This is true with caffeine, nicotine, many different drugs for anything from epilepsy, to heart medication to Restless Limb Syndrome... and it is just as true for pain medication. 

Addiction is when the brain dwells on it. The substance gives a good-feeling, and the person wants that feeling again and again. That is why people do become addicts to tobacco, (nicotine is a bit of a depressant), caffeine, (it really does give a pick-me-up), opioids, and most of that list. But addiction is usually only within a 3% margin, which honestly can get very bad when we realize that number ranges in the millions.

I was an addict when I was young -- pot, diet pills, cigarettes, and alcohol. Through a series of events, and a lot of God in my life, I did get to the point of going through rehab voluntarily, and even ended up getting my first real-job at that rehab afterward. I vowed to stay away from drugs for the rest of my life.

However, in 1999, I ended up in chronic pain so bad, the only thing that kept me from killing myself was a promise to my husband. I was so close, I even had a plan on how to hide that it was a suicide, so he could get my life insurance when I died. And the pain was so bad, I still remember the time I was writhing on our living room floor and saw a dead water bug under the sofa, way in the back. (I have a bugphobia. xD)

After seven months of that kind of pain, and doctors still couldn't figure out the cause, I was put on oxycodone. (5 mg., four times a day.) 20 years later, and I'm on the same amount. Tried to quit (again) last year, but discovered this really does mask the pain to within livable amounts. The Lord did change me drastically since I was young. My focus now is in living for him, instead of the high.

Just wanted to add this in case anyone ever truly needs a drug that most think is bad. There wouldn't be opioids, if they didn't have a good purpose too. (Cigarettes? Nothing but stupidity. I could quit all those drugs I misused as a kid, but still stuck on tobacco all these years later. And, yes, have tried everything to quit.)

• Like 1

In 2015, I fell two different times. The first time, I broke a rib. When I got to see my doctor, she prescribed one of the condone drugs. She warned me that they were addictive. Well, the LORD worked it out that I could not take them. I had instant side effects from the first pill I took.  The second time I fell, I had to have surgery for a severely broken ankle. I had to go to a rehab center (think nursing home) to recover. In the hospital and at the nursing home, they had to give me a strong pain relief medication, again, they warned me not to rely on the medicine.  It caused another issue for me. When my husband realized what I was taking, he said he wanted me off of it ASAP. When I was released from the rehab center, they planned on sending some of those pills home with me. I refused to receive them. I deal with side effects/allergies from several medications. I approach taking any new med carefully.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, quietspirit said:

In 2015, I fell two different times. The first time, I broke a rib. When I got to see my doctor, she prescribed one of the condone drugs. She warned me that they were addictive. Well, the LORD worked it out that I could not take them. I had instant side effects from the first pill I took.  The second time I fell, I had to have surgery for a severely broken ankle. I had to go to a rehab center (think nursing home) to recover. In the hospital and at the nursing home, they had to give me a strong pain relief medication, again, they warned me not to rely on the medicine.  It caused another issue for me. When my husband realized what I was taking, he said he wanted me off of it ASAP. When I was released from the rehab center, they planned on sending some of those pills home with me. I refused to receive them. I deal with side effects/allergies from several medications. I approach taking any new med carefully.

Agreed. I really did not want to take a narcotic for pain, but I gave up keeping track of which doctor tried which drug on me after the list hit 24 different kinds of drugs. (Ends up over half of them weren't even for pain. They were for digestive issues.) That was at the halfway mark of them trying stuff that might help. I distinctly remembering losing my pancakes, (figuratively and literally), on the side of the highway the day I tried my first (hydro)condone. Hubby took me out for breakfast to cheer me up. It took a long time for them to find the drug that helped. Many, many stories of the ones that did not.

Then again, I think that's why there are so many kinds of drugs for the same thing -- because there is no one-size-fits-all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaulding said:

It took a long time for them to find the drug that helped

And hopefully it still helps!

On 6/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, carolinamtne said:

And hopefully it still helps!

19 years later, and still helps. :)