Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
KR LaLonde

Book #1: An anthology of transformations

This is all of it so far.

The reason I'm not very happy with it right now, @HK1, is because the entire anthology was supposed to be brief stories. I went and got all wordy again.

• Like 1

Just now, KR LaLonde said:

This is all of it so far.

The reason I'm not very happy with it right now, @HK1, is because the entire anthology was supposed to be brief stories. I went and got all wordy again.

No you didn't! Just keep on writing and worry about the editing and cutting later. I know, easier said than done, right? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was just going to copy & paste it there if I did. Thanks.

:D

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

you suggested moving it to the critique forum.

How?

I'd just copy and paste the part of the story you have so far in the critique forum.  :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

is because the entire anthology was supposed to be brief stories. I went and got all wordy again.

What word count were you going for originally? 

• Like 1

@KR LaLonde, I just googled "word length of short stories," and it said anything under 7,500 words is considered a short story. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

But like I said before: I wanted them to be SHORT SHORTS. Aren't those, like, 1000 words or less?

Not necessarily.

Edited by Sarah Daffy

Chesterton said, "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." So write and see what you get.

However, as you may have realized, this is not the critique forum. The critique forum is under the "Critiques and Feedback" heading.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zee said:

as you may have realized, this is not the critique forum.

I understand that. I do. TO be honest, receiving fewer comments can be more workable. That's mostly because of my messed up brain.

• Like 1

Just a reminder that we don't allow creative works, requests for critiques, etc. in the discussion forums. The correct place to post this is in the critique forum, only. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zee said:

"If something is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."

:D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I don't think I'll be sharing it anytime soon after all. :( It's starting to sound terrible. Not to mention keeping things short has never been something I do very easily. 😕

KR, you sound a lot like me. My mind has been so scattered for the last few years, and it shows in my writing. I've been waiting around for it to focus again, but that didn't work, so I'm going with what I have. Maybe what I'm doing might be something that helps you. Or, better yet, maybe that creative side of you can use my idea as a jumping board and you come up with an even better idea that works for you. But, I'll tell you what I've been up to in hopes it gives you the ideas and confidence to go for your anthology idea, because it sounds like a great idea. So good you gave me an "I wish I'd thought of that one." 

So, "all I have to do" (famous start to something that was anything but an easy thing :confused:) is write a Chapter 1 of a second book. I'm writing for kids, so a chapter shouldn't be over 2000 words. I've written Book 1, so I have 19 chapters under my belt that tells me I can do that. I've been working on Chapter 1 on and off again for half a year now. Chapter 1 only needs four things for any fiction writer to accomplish:

1. Relatable main character.

2. Inciting incident.

3. Setting.

4. Story-worthy problem.

How hard can that be?

Oh yeah! Very hard for someone whose mind is scattered. o_O

So first time writing it took quite a few tries, because IRL keeps hitting right in the middle of a thought, but I finally got it down. And each time I went back to it I started at the beginning and edited until I got to where I stopped last time. It was really beginning to look good, (a mere three months later), until I noticed a couple of minor details -- the only person who knew what the inciting incident and story-worthy problem was is me. Readers wouldn't get it because I forgot to include that. :$

It took me two months to figure out how to get that in chapter 1. I finally got it in yesterday. 

Now another little detail has hit. It's supposed to be no more than 2000 words. It's 4000! This is my biggest problem. I don't do short easily. (Does it show?) So, I'm going back at it until it finally gets short.

None of this is bad. It doesn't make me bad. It doesn't mean I can't write. It means I'm dealing with scattered brain, so it's taking me longer. Big whoop. It takes longer. June 20, 2020 is coming one year from today. By that date, I'll either be further along than this or I give up. I really like the story too much to give up, so I should be further along by then.

Can't you say the same thing? And since we really like the story, what's wrong with working on it longer than most writers? To me that's like telling me, "I'm so very sorry, but I'm going to force you to eat chocolate every day until you like it." Please do. I love chocolate!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

How hard can that be?

What I could tell you in response to this...

38 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

two months to figure out how

Is IRL some kind of illness?

39 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

two months to figure out

Only 2 months? 😮 *Jealous!* (not really)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

It doesn't mean I can't write.

Friends keep telling me this. And to some degree I believe it.

Thank you, btw, for your encouragement. It means a lot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Can't you say the same thing?

Well, provided my broken brain cooperates. Which I think it should, incidentally. We'll be on a trip later this year and in the car for literally hours. The inability to get online sometimes has a decent effect on my writing. :)

50 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

And since we really like the story,

Wait. You do? You really like my story? SQUEE!!!!

I should warn you, though... my story ideas come so fast and I forget things so quickly/easily that I could end up sharing multiple story ideas all at once. And that's not a good thing.

Edited by KR LaLonde
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

What I could tell you in response to this...

Is IRL some kind of illness?

Only 2 months? 😮 *Jealous!* (not really)

1. That first one was sarcastic, because it's anything but "all I have to do." Kind of feels like looking at a mansion with a can of paint, because someone wants me to paint the whole thing. Reality is I think I finally opened the can of paint, but I don't know what to do with the lid. Still, for now, my goal is to paint the first stroke. I'll worry about the rest of the problems as they arise. (Still stuck figuring where to put the top to the paint. lol)

2. Two months to figure out how to include the inciting incident. Six months and I'm still working on the first chapter. (Tried again today. I think I got it down by 50 words... maybe? I forgot to count.)

3. IRL is "in real life." All the stuff that takes away writing time. You know. Like Mom called. Real life is good, but it keeps distracting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

May I throw something into this conversation?

Two months on chapter 1? Actually, I get it. Maybe that's why I write short stories. 

But what I have read here and elsewhere tells me not to get hung up on one scene/chapter/section. Not to keep trying to improve what you have already written, but get the whole thing done first.

It's called a "shitty first draft" (sorry, Rebecca) for a reason. But it's only the first draft (of the whole thing)! Then go back and work out the kinks. 

So get out of the first chapter!!!!!

• Like 2