Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Anybody have input on using a town name that actually exists??  I think it would be cool, but it also seems there would be dangers to doing it. There are similar businesses tot he one I'm using in the story in the area. looks like to could be  plausible. To use a movie line, Input number five need input.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Yeah- I'd make up a town, Z.  The last thing you'd need would be litigation.

I think your right, but it would be sooooo cool. 

• Like 2

I agree with Suspensewriter; I'd definitely try to make up a town, though it would be sort of a challenge; sometimes I have trouble coming up with names that I'm truly satisfied with. 😏

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I really think you're both right, and that's the answer I expected to hear. So I won't do it, but in the story, the place is called the Moonbeam Ranch. I found a town in Texas about six hours away from Dallas called Sunray. How cool would that have been to have a ranch called Moonbeam in a town called Sunray?! 😂🤣 I'll figure something out or work around it somehow.

Edited by zx1ninja
Spelling
  • Like 2

There shouldn't be any issue using names of real towns & cities in fiction, so long as you don't get carried away with extreme situations that damage the reputation of that place (which is hard to do, anyway). It's using the names of people and businesses that you need to be very careful about.

I wrote a post-apocalyptic novel, some of which takes place in Boston. Some not so good things happen there (and in several other real locations), but what occurs is within the context of an obviously fictional backdrop. In fact, I actually met Marty Walsh (Mayor of Boston) at local book-market, and if it wasn't for an overly talkative author next to me (who took up all of his time :mad:), I would've given him a copy of my book.

• Like 2

To bad we don't have a member who's knowledgeable enough and willing to give a little guidance on questions like this. Kind of like rules of thumb. Ooo maybe a thread called rules of thumb with a pinned post stating the posts are only bare minimum suggestive guidelines and all suggestions should be verified by local ?? who ever would know for sure.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I, too, would be hesitant to use the name of a town I didn't know pretty well.

Edited by carolinamtne
can't spell
  • Like 2

Well, I'm not hesitating. I'm stopping until I see a reliable green light that it will be okay. Still, it would be cool.

• Like 2

Sunray ....

Rayson ...

Sunnyrae ...

Soleil sur Rae  (for the French among us)

You get the idea!

• Like 2

If the story you're writing is obviously fiction, especially if your town doesn't really resemble the actual Sunray, I don't think it could bother anyone.

• Like 1

Just an FYI. Did a little research and found a place called the Moonbeam does exist. Not in Texas though, and they don't have anything to do with cattle. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'll do as @Nicola suggested and use the spelling of Sonrey, Same pronunciation so it would still have the cool factor. What do we think about that?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

Maybe I'll do as @Nicola suggested and use the spelling of Sonrey, Same pronunciation so it would still have the cool factor. What do we think about that?

👍

LOL realized I wrote Moonbeam and the name is actually Moonlight.

• Like 1

I think when it comes to names it's pretty much impossible to be original...there's probably even a town named Sonrey out there somewhere (though maybe not in Texas.) Same with people... Unless you're naming a character something really far out like Call 911 or Whiskey Before Breakfast, there's probably someone out there with that name. And even if you do go the far out route, you never know. My grandfather knew a man named States' Rights. Unless you are deliberately trying to be offensive, I can't imagine that you would be. Just the fact that there is no Moonlight Ranch near Sunray, TX, would clue people in that it's a fictional town.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zee said:

Unless you are deliberately trying to be offensive, I can't imagine that you would be. Just the fact that there is no Moonlight Ranch near Sunray, TX, would clue people in that it's a fictional town.

While I agree with the thought, @suspensewriter is right, I don't need the litigation, and people these days seem to always want the litigation looking for a deep pocket of some kind. Nothing like a litigious society to remove all common sense and install fear. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, zx1ninja said:

Anybody have input on using a town name that actually exists??  I think it would be cool, but it also seems there would be dangers to doing it. There are similar businesses tot he one I'm using in the story in the area. looks like to could be  plausible. To use a movie line, Input number five need input.

My story is set in my town -- Philadelphia. All the places mentioned in it are real, and accurately located. I do worry about a diner having problems with the story by the time it is published, but I did email them to see if it was okay, and they never got back to me. I'm not worried too much, because I never made them the bad guys, and what are the chances the name will stay the same and they'll read the book to be offended?

How many stories have you read where the setting is real? Apparently, it's okay. And the only time anyone gets offended is if they are shown in a negative light. (Or, if it's Disney branded.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

(Or, if it's Disney branded.)

Yea, Disney is very protective of their brand/characters.

• Like 1

I don't tend to use the real names of places in my writing. I used Southport, NC for a historical fiction, and Charleston, SC, for a treasure hunting series, but I don't think that matters. As for businesses, hotels, or restaurants, I make up the names.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, Nicola said:

Sunray ....

Rayson ...

Sunnyrae ...

Soleil sur Rae  (for the French among us)

You get the idea!

I like to Anglicize French names, like the Picketwire River from the word for purgatory. It works well in American westerns. 

Still, I'd write it the way I liked, then make changes if necessary later.

1 hour ago, EClayRowe said:

Still, I'd write it the way I liked, then make changes if necessary later.

That's the advantage of computers! Good old Find and Replace!!!!