Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
William D'Andrea

Ideas for an entirely new book.

For the first time in a good number of years, I've come up with an idea for an entirely new book.  I got the idea on Tuesday afternoon.

The story takes place on an Earthlike planet in a different galaxy.  The Adam and Eve of that Planet have begotten sons and daughters, before anyone eats the forbidden fruit.  Several generations have been begotten before more than one of them finally takes a bite.

This leads to a division between the corrupted ones, who are cast out of that world's Eden, and are in need of Salvation; and those who have remained righteous, and may not need a Savior.

As for a plot.  What I'm thinking is that while those who've been cast out of their Eden, are unable to re-enter, the Righteous have no difficulty moving between their Paradise, and the wilderness of thorns and thistles, where the Outcasts struggle to survive.

The Righteous are not incorruptible, and some do give into temptation.  Some of them become involved in a conspiracy, with the Leadership of the Outcasts.  They are conspiring to smuggle fruit from the Tree of Life, to the Outcasts in the wilderness.  

Those are just the basic ideas.  It's going to take a considerable amount of time and thought, before I begin the actually work.  Now I know what I'll be doing this Summer.  If nothing else, I won't be bored.

Does anyone have any ideas to add to this?

• Like 2

I think it's all coming together marvelously so far; I can't wait to see the final result! I mulled over some ideas with William on another forum, and he has come up with what to me is an amazing plot. The floor is open for suggestions from anyone else who may have something to add. 😁😁

32 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

I think it's all coming together marvelously so far; I can't wait to see the final result! I mulled over some ideas with William on another forum, and he has come up with what to me is an amazing plot. The floor is open for suggestions from anyone else who may have something to add. 😁😁

Thank you Erin.

The more I think about this, the more ideas I get.   I hope I haven't taken on more than I can handle.  The story could easily be going off in many different directions, and there'd be no end to the writing.  I'm still ready to see what suggestions anybody has.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

I hope I haven't taken on more than I can handle.  The story could easily be going off in many different directions, and there'd be no end to the writing. 

Oh my, I'm the same way with things I write! Sometimes the plot gets really long and drawn out, and then I have to go back and rewrite and start condensing and then it take me a reeeeaaaallllyy long time to get it done!! :D I wish you the best of luck and blessings on this fun new venture; if you need any help with anything, please don't hesitate to let me know; I'll be around.

The garden of Eden idea is good, however that puts the incorruptible in equality with Angels, and if the corrupt ones get a hold of the tree of life nothing can save them.  They will live forever in sin and disobedience to the Creator. 

I think it is a good idea as long as L. Ron Hubbard type people don't get a hold of your material, it's like the Mormon's got a hold of the fictitious writing how Jesus came to the United States.

Edited by Dan the Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Erin Cook said:

if you need any help with anything, please don't hesitate to let me know; I'll be around.

I certainly will be very glad to receive any help you offer.  I wonder if you might want to read one of my completed writings first, so you'll have a good idea what my writing is like.  If it won't take too much of your time, I have written a full length novel.  It's a suspense thriller, with a Christian theme, titled "A Gatored Community."  You can find it posted on the writers website fanstory.com, where I use the pen name MrBillyDA.  There it has received 56 positive reviews.  

https://fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?hd=1&id=772667

The work consists of approximately 53,000 words, divided into 26 chapters, on 166 pages, using Microsoftword format.

In return, I'd like to ask if there are any writings of yours that you'd like me to read and review?

Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan the Man said:

The garden of Eden idea is good, however that puts the incorruptible in equality with Angels, and if the corrupt ones get a hold of the tree of life nothing can save them.  They will live forever in sin and disobedience to the Creator. 

I think it is a good idea as long as L. Ron Hubbard type people don't get a hold of your material, it's like the Mormon's got a hold of the fictitious writing how Jesus came to the United States.

I understand the theology about the tree of life; so I'm giving this very long and careful thought before I begin the actual writing.

I also intend to make it thoroughly clear that the book is a work of fiction; and not a "New Revelation from God".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

In return, I'd like to ask if there are any writings of yours that you'd like me to read and review?

Thank you.

Well, as of yet, no completed works to show, but I'm working very hard to get my written materials just right. I'm super-picky about how the final result comes out before I show my work to anybody. But I might have a short story or a song or two I could show you; I'll see what I can come up with! :D

I've given this story the working title "A Different Eden".    I'm developing an idea about the story's structure.   It could be described as a "Small Town" narrative.  Like "Main Street", or "Our Town".  "To Kill a Mocking Bird"?  "Peyton Place'?; or maybe more exotic, like "Fiddler on the Roof"?

The plot would be a "Town Divided".   The condescending Self Righteous, who remain in Eden; vs the resentful Outcasts in the Wilderness, just across the hedges of thorns and thistles; who are looking for some way to get even.  Among the outcasts, would be the deceiving, beguiling Serpent Lucifer.  He would be their Leader.

This looks like the basis for a suspense thriller; of which I have written many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

This looks like the basis for a suspense thriller; of which I have written many.

It sounds awesome!! And I love the title! :)

2 hours ago, Erin Cook said:

It sounds awesome!! And I love the title! :)

Thank you Erin Cook.

Unlike Fiddler, all the other stories concern American small towns in the early to mid-twentieth Century.   Fiddler presents a very different culture.

That could be part of  A Different Eden.  Just what would it's small town culture be like?

I've just read the first five chapters of Genesis.  It shows many things I should consider.  One of them, is that Adam and Ever were expelled from the Garden at once, along with the Serpent.  In my book, the corruptions and expulsions might occur one individual at a time.   If so, wouldn't the Serpent have already been cast out, along with the first who'd been corrupted?

I'm going to have a lot of things to work out.  

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

A lot of very interesting concepts to consider...

Perhaps the town's culture could possess factors from all the different community types we've gone over; that might give it its own unique flavor, especially considering that this Eden exists in another galaxy. 

The concept of the individuals being corrupted & cast out separately is an interesting one; I agree that the Serpent and the first two corrupted people would probably have gone first.

21 minutes ago, Erin Cook said:

I agree that the Serpent and the first two corrupted people would probably have gone first.

Now I'm thinking that while the Serpent was cast out, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil remains rooted in the soil of Eden, with numerous ripe fruit still hanging from its branches.   Without the Serpent's presence, it's even more tempting.

• Like 1

Your work could examine the despair of falling.  The innocents could be divided on whether or not to show mercy and the other could be more militant, desiring to demonstrate justice.  

AND YET... the fruit did not come from the tree but from the seed of pride which was fostered in self righteousness...

What do you think???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Scribewriter said:

AND YET... the fruit did not come from the tree but from the seed of pride which was fostered in self righteousness...

What do you think???

According to Genesis 1:12-13: " The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.  And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day."

According to Genesis 2: 8-9:  "Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed.  The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

This means that the fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil existed on the third day, before Adam and Eve were created on the sixth day, and was prepared for them.

Some thing to give the reader something to wonder about.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scribewriter said:

Your work could examine the despair of falling.  The innocents could be divided on whether or not to show mercy and the other could be more militant, desiring to demonstrate justice.  

What do you think???

Excellent symbolism, Scribewriter!! I love the idea about the seed of pride; after all, it was pride and rebellion which drove Lucifer away from God to begin with. 

I'll be glad to help you in any way possible to design characters, though not right away; I'll be leaving day after tomorrow on a trip to GA with my mom, and I won't be back for ten days; but as soon as I get back, I'll be all ready to help with whatever you need! :D

Thank you Erin!  Hope you enjoy the trip.  Totally.

It looks like you weren't exaggerating when you said you were my collaborator.  I'll be truly glad to receive whatever help you can give me.  However, in the ten days that you'll be away, I won't just be sitting around bored.   I'll try to do as much writing as I'm able.  Then after you've returned, I'm sure you'll be very helpful in improving whatever I've been able to write.

Thank you again. 

• Like 1

You got the central theme of your future book. Now you have to work out the details, characters, etc. Keep us updated.