Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
lynnmosher

Word of the day

I thought I'd share dictionary.com's word of the day. You'll see at the end of the definition why... ;)

Word of the day: esprit de l’escalier (es-pree duh le-skahl-yey)

Definition: a perfect comeback or witty remark that one frustratingly comes up with only when the moment for doing so has passed: Writers, by nature, tend to be people in whom l' esprit de l'escalier is a recurrent experience.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

a perfect comeback or witty remark that one frustratingly comes up with only when the moment for doing so has passed

Ah, I hate when that happens! 😄 Who knew there was an actual word for it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

a perfect comeback or witty remark that one frustratingly comes up with only when the moment for doing so has passed

That happens all the time. 

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

The advantage to being a writer is that you can recreate the scene with a character and make the appropriate comeback!

That's why my characters are way more witty and clever than real life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So that's why it's easier for me to communicate via writing ... 

4 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

'cause this happens all the time in real life conversation! There's no "backspace" or "delete" in verbal communication ...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

So that's why it's easier for me to communicate via writing ...

Me too! I think up this perfect thing in my head, write it down, then when I try to explain it, everyone else is like, "Huh? What planet are you from?" It's happened with me and my sister before. Now it's happened to me again. . .

Edited by Sarah Daffy
  • Like 2

Oh my word, that happens to me too! That's why I'm often quieter in person than I am when I write messages to people. I have to take time to think out what I want to say to folks, which causes my "brilliant remarks" to often come to my brain looooooonnnnng after the subject has shifted or been completely dropped altogether!! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

a perfect comeback or witty remark that one frustratingly comes up with only when the moment for doing so has passed:

So there's a word for the condition that plagues me :D 

• Like 2