Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Spaulding

The Lord vs. Trad. Pub.

There were roughly 240 agents accepting MG novels when I was querying. Now sometimes it was a "rejection from one is a rejection by all" agency, so that cut down on my list, naturally.

Here were my final stats though:

24 impersonal rejects

3 close but no cigar rejects

1 partial with no response.

1 full with no response

26 no response ever.

2 left.

57 out of 240 possibilities. What happened that I queried so few? I couldn't talk myself into querying agencies out to promote agendas opposite of the Lord's. (Usually, clearly promoting homosexuality and other far left agendas.)

No excuses though. That's still 57 rejects, ultimately.

Now I'm reworking it some more, and continuing on to the second book in the heptalogy to make sure it's consistent. (Much harder than I thought that would be, and I knew it would be hard.)

But, I'm still dreaming. My next step was to go after publishers directly. One is in my hometown and published one of my all-time favorite trilogies. My dream just shut down. Today that publisher is celebrating Philly Pride Day. (Not Philly pride as much as the homosexual agenda again.)

So, am I being too picky? Or is this par for His course? Would you publish through someone opposed to the Lord's ways?

• Like 4

Absolutely not! My only reason would be to somehow reach out and share the gospel with secular publishers in the hopes that they might be saved through God using my work; otherwise, I would definitely prefer not to affiliate with them. 

• Like 2

As long as your work doesn't mention anything about homosexuality, that publisher might give your book a chance.  I suggest you give both that publisher and yourself a chance.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

So, am I being too picky?

You're not being too picky.  You're doing what's right and standing for the truth of God's Word.  Keep at it!  He will lead you to the publisher He wants you to use. 

41 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

Would you publish through someone opposed to the Lord's ways?

No, I wouldn't.  I write for the glory of God, and publishing through a company in complete rebellion against Him doesn't bring Him glory.  This made me think of 2 Corinthians 6:14: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Spaulding said:

So, am I being too picky? Or is this par for His course?

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by "par for His (God's?) course."

Are your rejection experiences par for the (traditional publishing) course? From what I've heard from other traditionally published authors - yes. It's very difficult for a new author to be traditionally published these days. That's why many have gone to small presses or independent (self-published).

Would you publish through someone opposed to the Lord's ways?

It really depends on what genre you're trying to publish in. If it's Christian fiction & non-fiction, then it would be logical to only query agents/publishers that focus on those areas. Other agents/publishers might take on this focus, but unless they specifically state they do, then you'd probably be wasting your time querying them.

If you're trying to publish other fiction (not specifically Christian), you're certainly free to sort out those who you feel oppose the Lord's ways, but the pickier you get, the more agents/publishers are excluded, and the less chance you'll find interest.

In the end, you can spend a lot of time zeroing in on a specific set of agents/publishers, but there are still so many variables in play. The manuscript could be right for them, but it could come down to bad timing, or maybe they already have too much similar material, or whatever. So rejection (or non-reply, which is far more common these days) doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like your manuscript.          

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 2

240 agents accepting MG novels

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean?

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Accord64 said:

So rejection (or non-reply, which is far more common these days) doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like your manuscript.          

This is true; it may just mean that it didn't suit what they were looking for at the present time. In other words, it just didn't suit their present needs. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

Yeah, just what is an MG novel? I'm sorry, I'm not very good with my abbreviations! :D

• Like 2

Looked up MG in a dictionary website. This is what it came up with:

Definitions for MG:

Initialism:

("Morris Garages") A British sports-car manufacturer.

Abbreviation:

Minas Gerais, a state of Brazil.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Sophie said:

@Erin Cook and @TDDracken, I think MG is "middle grade" (pre-teen) whereas YA is young adult (teen). :D

Oops. I spoke too soon. My apologies!! 😱

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sophie said:

@Erin Cook and @TDDracken, I think MG is "middle grade" (pre-teen) whereas YA is "young adult" (teen). :D

Ok, yeah, I knew YA; thanks for telling about the other one! These things are good for us novelists to remember. 😁

• Like 2

I have to say that truthfully, I don't know. Publishing weather or not it's a Christian publisher is needed if you ever expect to reach anyone, isn't that the ultimate goal. But to alter your book to remove and/or negate the truth of God, that's where I would draw the line no matter who the publisher is. As long as you have control over that it shouldn't matter as long as you can still reach people with the truth.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I have to say that truthfully, I don't know. Publishing weather or not it's a Christian publisher is needed if you ever expect to reach anyone, isn't that the ultimate goal. But to alter your book to remove and/or negate the truth of God, that's where I would draw the line no matter who the publisher is. As long as you have control over that it shouldn't matter as long as you can still reach people with the truth.

I absolutely agree one-hundred percent. Any publisher who tries to conform you to his personal beliefs, especially secular, is not worth his salt.

• Like 1

Interesting  thread.

The debate of whether to write material that might be considered contrary to christian teaching is  amute point. 

I completely understand that some may prefer not to tackle some thorny issues that the christian community may have to debate or stand up for in today's world.

However, I believe that there is an opportunity here to engage people who maybe are either trying to figure out what it is they believe in, or those who have never really engaged with their faith or church and have a narrow perspective of both. 

One of the aims of my WIP is to provide a story where the characters (christian and non-christian) reflect and engage with these subjects with giving a definite decision or judgment (not my place as  a writer.) So ys, I will go there regardless of my own personal faith beliefs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HK1 said:

No, I wouldn't.  I write for the glory of God, and publishing through a company in complete rebellion against Him doesn't bring Him glory.  This made me think of 2 Corinthians 6:14: "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

Eleven days ago, I got a cold. (Thinking levels drop significantly when I'm sick.) Two days ago, I got it again. I knew there was some reason I wasn't going for the agencies that promote the humanist gospel. Thank you for reminding me what that was.

Exactly this. Agent-representation is a partnership, and no way am I any good with partnering with someone unrighteous/unequal/immoral. I already have to keep fighting against my own sinful nature. Why compound the problem? Thank you.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Accord64 said:

In the end, you can spend a lot of time zeroing in on a specific set of agents/publishers, but there are still so many variables in play. The manuscript could be right for them, but it could come down to bad timing, or maybe they already have too much similar material, or whatever. So rejection (or non-reply, which is far more common these days) doesn't necessarily mean they didn't like your manuscript. 

I knew the likelihood of this happening going into it. No hard feelings for any of the rejects, and I knew rejecting it wasn't against me, or even the story. It just didn't grab them enough. That's good. The last thing I want is for it to grab an agent but she still didn't want to get it published. 

Oddly enough, I did come across an agent like that. She was outed for that -- accepting mss, but then never promoting them to publishers. A couple of publishers caught wind that she was telling her clients she had asked them, but she never asked them. And with that, she lost her credibility. (Not much of a business if you never sold anything ever.) Fortunately, she was one who never got back to me.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TDDracken said:

Out of all agents, I found about 240 who promoted Middle-Grade novels. (Novels for kids between 8-12.)

• Like 2

Eleven days ago, I got a cold. (Thinking levels drop significantly when I'm sick.) Two days ago, I got it again.

Hope you start feeling better really soon!  Colds are miserable :(

• Like 2