Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Shamrock

Greetings - Shamrock

Hello everyone another newbie here.

I am a Brit who lives in the north west of England.  I have been writing since childhood. i started with poems and short stories.  As an adult, most of my work has been either drama scripts based upon scripture for church purposes or secular fiction.   At present, I am working on my second novel This is set over two decades and follows the two main characters from late teens to late 20s focusing on how they cope with their individuals' life-changing tragedies that befall them. Within this plot the fall out for them as Christians is explored.  Don't ask me why but I work up with them in my head one morning.  The setting is in Tennessee andYork (Where I lived for a few years.) I visited TN as a student on one of the summer camp programs.  In my spare time, I have a black lab that takes me for walks and I love walking through the beautiful country side around here.  That's all folks.

• Like 4

Welcome to our writing family, Shamrock. Glad you joined us. One of my favorite TV programs is Midsomer Murders. I love seeing the villages and countryside. So lovely! You must have wonderful walks! You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

Hey, @Shamrock! Welcome to CW! England sounds beautiful. 😁 Enjoy your time here! God bless you and your writing. :D

• Like 1

Hi Shamrock, welcome to Christianwriters! It is great to meet you, and have you here!

• Like 1

hi shamrock and welcome :)  I naturally read your introduction with a british accent in my head, which made it fun, but I didn't know if my head was pulling up the right accent.  it seems to me England has as many accents as America does. :D  l always wanted to go to England-not to  the big cities, but to the country and small villages. I've watched a few of the midsummer murders and doc martin shows for the scenery as well as the characters, so i'm wondering exactly what your area looks like. you said you've written for church purposes. that is wonderful. I've heard so many stories that England (and the rest of Europe) is on the decline as far as Christianity is concerned. please tell me that is not true.

Hello Becky. Thank you for your welcome.

You are right there are many different accents or dilacts in England. i.e. in the North East where I lived until two years ago you would have a Geordie accent for people from Newcastle/Gateshead while people from Sunderland 8 mile away would have a different accent. And of course you have the North - South accents.

Regar Christianity. Depends where you live. It would be fair to say that the UK overall is a multi-faith nation since the 1950s when many people from overseas came at the invitation of the British Government because of a labour storage.  

Where I live it has a high Muslim population so the church I attend does struggle with numbers. Over the past few decades the area has experienced 'white flight' where Birts have moved out of the area and non-white British havemove in. Parishes like this are know as P&E parish - Presence & Engagement Parishes. So called because they are a christian presence and are engaging with other faiths communities.   If I go  10 miles west I hit a white residential area where the local parish church is well attended.

YEs, the countryside is lovely and I am lucky to live close enough to woods and parks where I can walk my dog. (the one I use as my motif is my previous dog - I have a puppy now).  I hope you manage to get over sometime.

your response is very interesting.  I was surprised that a difference of only 8 mils can determine accents, though on second thought I shouldn't be. there must be certain places here where the line is drawn between one accent and another in order to have such a diversity. even deciding which southern accent for two of my characters or listening to my young granddaughter's north Carolina accent versus our oklahoma accent has resulted in a lot of extra research.

your area sounds beautiful and peaceful. I do love the woods.

thank you for the religious information. my lunchtime companions, who are also members of our prayer group,  will enjoy hearing it..