Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Hi friends. I am encouraged and grateful this morning as I've landed on this site. I've been mining Stroygrid the past week, driven by my decades of desire to write a book. The content on that site is certainly rich but also made me long for a Christian writers community. I appreciate the content here from your lives and hearts and look forward to interaction with this Christcommunity you've formed.

• Like 4

Welcome to our writing family, Carolyn. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :D

• Like 2

Hi, Carolyn!! I'm new here too! I really think we're gonna like it here! Welcome aboard! ???

• Like 1

Hello, welcome to Christianwriters Carolyn! It is great to meet you, and have you here!

• Like 2

Hi Carolyn, Welcome :)  I'm interested to know what your book is about, especially since it has been on your heart for so long. I wish you complete success.

• Like 2

Thank you Becky.

I don't know whether to do a devotional type book,

which is the type that most people have encouraged me to write over the decades but is also the type of book I least enjoy reading:/

Or to do a novel, which is the kind I most enjoy reading but is the type of writing I find most intimidating because of the need to create fictional characters and put words in their mouths (when I find it so difficult myself to talk😂)

Or to write a memoir, which the bulk of my writing has been which has never seen the light of day but the type which my pen flows most freely with 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

Write what you are familiar with because it is the easiest way for you to start. But get off the wall and start. Forget the editing to make the chapter perfect. Do that once a month after you have written at the very least 5 chapters. Do it by fives, write five loosely edit five. Eventually, you will get to the end.

Once it is finished, start the rewriting/editing process. Keep editing and paring down the words of each and every sentence so that every word is important to that sentence. Strive for polishing perfection but at the same time DO NOT over do it either. 

You need to have a basic action plan of writing from beginning to end so you know basically the whole story. If you don't know the road or the destination, how do you expect to get there or know when you've arrived. Take your memoir and make it into a fictional story, loosely based on fact. Use literary license to flesh out the story with totally fictional characters to make it more interesting when necessary. This will help make it easier to write.

Make your work exciting right from the first sentence. Something has to happen right from the very first paragraph or you will loose the reader. You need a major hook and set within the first chapter or again you will loose the reader.

It is like fishing if the hook isn't set properly you loose the fish. Each reader is like a fish they must NEED TO not WANT TO turn the page to see what happens next. Otherwise, the reader will put the book down and may never pick it up again. Your job as the writer is not to allow that to EVER occur.

An excellent memoir example is by Admiral William H. McRaven called "Sea Stories". It has some strong language but that is how the military people commonly communicate. It is considered normal to speak that way in that particular societal group. It isn't offensive to anyone at all. Look at the way it is written because it holds the readers attention throughout the complete book.

Anyways, this might help some to get you going in the right direction.

Edited by kriver7
  • Like 1

Hello and Welcome!  Hoping your journey finds warmth here among friends and fellows.

I have found that the best way to write is to remove yourself from the process and let the spirit find and authentic voice in you.  Let your work be a reflection of your desire to serve in gratitude and love.

Humbly,

SW