Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

What should be in an author bio? Also, what would you love to see more of? What would you like to see less of? 

A while ago we had a thread going here where we promised to write each other's bios.  We all decided we were terrible at writing our own.  

Personal interests, how we got started writing, what we want to be when we grow up ... Something quirky.

Posted (edited)

LOL! I remember that! Almost wish Joanna was still around to ask if I could use the one she wrote about me. That was good! 

Edited by Alley

Did Joanna's profile have any further contact info?  I'm sure she's still writing!  

Thank you Lynn, for pulling that out of the archives!  

11 hours ago, Alley said:

LOL! I remember that! Almost wish Joanna was still around to ask if I could use the one she wrote about me. That was good! 

I'm sure she would say yes. I don't think she planned on hanging onto it. ;)

1 hour ago, Nicola said:

Thank you Lynn, for pulling that out of the archives!  

You're welcome! :D

10 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

You're welcome! :D

It's cause she's awesome! ?

Now, y'all are talking author bios in a way I hadn't conceived of yet. I had to write one for my query letters. I wrote more than one. Never got offered representation though.

I had to do one for the back of the book. They told me keep it simple. 

The reader doesn't want to know every piece of your life's history.

So I did, very simple and condensed.

"Purple heart veteran, artist, writer, cartoonist, widower, and father of five. Bob Leone lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. You can see his graphic stories, cartoons and any book information at www.aimhigherbooks.com."

I like to take notes, and it was easiest to do it right here under the video. So I may as well share them.

Notes from video:

Why you're writing what you're writing.

Nice thoughtful person.

Past experiences, regardless of whether it relates to the book.

Get your team together and cobble together who you are and what you have done.

What you have done may be interesting to others.

Free webinar coming up, including author bio, taking pitches.

• Like 1

What I got out of it was what @carolinamtne said, you bio should be about anything that you have done or are that makes you interesting to the readers. 

Like the thirteen kids, or the bobsledding person, those just sounded interesting. 

Just now, Bob Leone said:

Like the thirteen kids, or the bobsledding person, those just sounded interesting. 

It did! Now I wonder if I should put in that, I was involved in disaster relief. In fact, I was in Joplin, Mo within 12 hours of touch down. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alley said:

I should put in that, I was involved in disaster relief.

Yes, I think you should put that in. And yes, what Bob said.

• Like 1

Bad thing happened while watching that. 75% through listening, I happened to notice the background. Wow! That looks just like the sun room my Dad used for an office. Those windows. That radiator. Those books. (Okay, I'm old, so our books were hard-covered.) Took me back. And almost forgot to pay attention to the rest. 

• Haha 2

For my queries, I went bold for my bio -- connecting it to my story -- and then went mild.

Neither one was enough to have my ms accepted by agents.

Bold --

Years ago, my husband needed 24 weeks of chemo right as our foreclosure arrived. That's when I realized antagonists aren't always evil, anticipated living in FDR Park, and took comfort in my stuffed animals. Spaulding and many of the main characters are my stuffies. We didn't lose the house, but we were never losing home.

Mild --

A quarter of a century ago, my husband and I settled into South Philly to enjoy a quiet life with our container garden, and my stuffed animals, who love having their pictures taken.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure if I should just write my own bio. That's what I've been trying to do for a few years now. Not that I have much for it to be "published" on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

I'm not sure if I should just write my own bio.

Write a rough draft.

You have been through a lot so it would be interesting.

• Like 1

Okay.

I'll see what I can come up with again.

Or maybe I'll dig up an older one. My situation hasn't changed that much recently.

• Like 1

This is actually what's on my Wix blog right now. It's my pen name, too, btw.

Hi. My name is Renee St Paul. Well, that's my current pen name. I've been known by a few different monikers over the years, actually. The main ones I use are the following: KR LaLonde, Kendra, and Renee St Paul.

I'm in my mid-thirties, so am considered young by the older generations. However, the younger ones often think I'm old.

I've been writing since I was in my mid-teens, but it got put on hold when I was hospitalized at 18. That's a fairly long story - one I plan to write about, in fact - so I won't bore you with the details.

Well, after several years of recuperation I started writing again. A lot. And because I have so much free time on my hands, I don't worry about too much else.

Sadly, not many of my stories have actually been completed. But I'm hoping very much to complete something (maybe more than one project) this year. It would be a dream come true.

My primary goal is to give God praise. I want to write stories that will help others understand Christians. The world is full of those who don't. Maybe because they don't want to. Perhaps because they were never told.

The Lord is hugely misunderstood by so many. I want to bring His Light to a world of darkness.

• Like 1

I'll let the more experienced members comment on this.

It is fine for your blog. It just seems a little long to me, for a bio for a book.

• Like 1