Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Nicola

When a Book is like a Song

When a Book is Like a Song

Music is the language that speaks without speaking.  Our writing can be about water bowls for dogs and someone four centuries from now, in a salt mine on the back side of Gerpibgqibr can find refreshment and the Glory of God, and this is the same thing a song does.  

One recent evening I attended a concert of the Georgia Children’s Chorus, where they presented a piece by lyricist, Bob Benson, and composer Andrea Ramsey, “There Has to be A Song.”

Oh, yes. There does have to be a song. This lilting piece about the power of a song to take us through difficult times resonated with me so much reminding me of Psalm 42:8, “By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me . . .”

One of the reasons I write is to give readers a song in the night.

Years ago during a difficult two-year period in my life when a friend took her own life and I was diagnosed with cancer, I found that song through another author’s work. Since that time, I have aimed to do the same thing for others.

Musicals and Operas are stories set to music, and though novelists may not have a score for our books, we may use our words to lift. Hope is a valuable commodity and as a writer, anytime I can offer it to someone who’s trying to navigate a dark place, I believe I have accomplished my purpose.

Some are dealing with enough grief and heartache for three lifetimes. For them, it can seem at times the pain will never end. But as writers, we can give them stories that offer an outcome that may introduce wonder back into their world.

Much has been written about the power of wonder and its ability to heal. Art, whether through writing or visual mediums or music is a powerful vehicle to accomplish this. Though a difficult circumstance may remain, experiencing wonder can take us out of ourselves and help us focus on the One who is bigger than anything we face.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nicola said:

experiencing wonder can take us out of ourselves and help us focus on the One who is bigger than anything we face.

That can happen as we write, and we can give that gift to others.

Yeah, I know, writing isn't always "wonder."