Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

How to best back up my work?

I'm trying to think of the best way to back up my work. (The documents.) I use a Chromebook, and it comes with the cloud (which is nice), but it limits external backup. Anyway... I'm debating between an external hard drive or a flash drive (USB). Any thoughts? Will it make a difference in anything other than my bank account? 

Send the document as an attachment and email it to yourself. Then save it in a folder on your email account.

It doesn't cost anything!

• Like 1

Flash drives are cheap, portable, and easy to use for everyday file backup. The cloud is better option for keeping stuff safe and off-site, in case something bigger occurs than just your HD failing. Flash drives won't help much if you have a fire which destroys the place where the PC and the flash drive resides. 

External HDs are good for larger file backups - like photos and videos. 

I'd have to agree with all the suggestions so far. Emailing the docs to yourself, using a flash drive (or two, just in case), or making use of the Cloud are great solutions, especially if you use a variety of them so you aren't relying too heavily on just one or two. That's what some of my college professors taught us since the majority of our work was done and submitted online.

I tend to use multiple forms of backup.  I do email, flash drive periodically, and I take advantage of the free online hard drive (cloud save) feature in the form of Google Doc and Google Drive.

All right now. I have four (4) backup drives, one external hard drive, two flash drives, two memory cards. Just make sure your backing up to the right file when you do (recently backed to the wrong file and lost a whole MS). I also have a printed copy (saving my butt right now.) That's just what I do, and yes, it's a little overboard, but after losing so many files in the past I keep multiples. But now I'm going to make one of these a weekly or monthly back up.

I back up locally and automatically to Dropbox in the cloud.