Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!
Alley

Newsletter content

Expanding off the topic of selling, I have another question. What should a writer/author talk about when sending out newsletters (or whatever they are called) to the people on their mailing lists? As a writer, I would love to hear about the process, but I'm not so sure a reader cares about it. I'll give you a small (because I don't have much) list I have, but I would love to hear what everyone's thoughts are on this, and if anyone has had success or failure with this. 

1) New books

2) Short extra snips about the characters. (Think short story.) 

3) Maybe some book review in the same category???

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Alley said:

Short extra snips about the characters. (Think short story.) 

That is what I am working on right now. Just a little glimpse into the lives of my characters. Sort of a prequel, but way shorter, like 1,000 words? or less? 

Edited by Bob Leone
spelling correction

7 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

like 1,000 words? or less?

I think that depends on you, but I would tend to stick to things no longer than a single chapter in your book. Longer and it might be a bit much. Not that I (as a reader) wouldn't love that. 

• Like 2

My chapters average 4000 to 5000 words. So I was thinking I would shoot for 1000 words or less?

Newsletters are just that: news letters. And the ones I get from writers do not contain chapters of their books, published or WIP. See if this article helps and be sure to click over and read the rest. It's very helpful:

The benefits of author newsletters

Not the market-y benefits of newsletters. The people benefit of newsletters. Newsletters are a special way to share personal insights with your readers. Newsletters, therefore, create connections with your readers. For the record, this business about creating connections applies to all of your social media work. If you aren’t using FB, Twitter, IG, or whatever to create connections with people, then you are doing it wrong. If you are spamming people on Twitter with relentless “Buy my book!” tweets, you will get blocked. By me. Right now. Because I don’t know you, and I don’t care about you. We don’t have a connection.

But the reverse is also true. When my friends have new books coming around, I want to hear about that news. I’m happy for them, excited for them. I’m delighted to see those tweets and other social media shares about the new book. Because I have a connection with the author, and the author is important to me.

• Like 1

If you google about newsletters for writers/authors, you'll see it's the same across the board: shorter is better.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Nicola said:

How do we sign up to receive them, Alley?

Give me a bit. I have some announcements!!! ? But first, we have to deal with the tornado and flood here. We are ok, but I'm not sure if the house will get hit with this flood yet. It depends where the river crest and we have days of rain left. ?

Edited by Alley

Oh my!  Alley!  You have an exciting life.  Dear Father, Please keep the flood back from Alley and her neighbourhood.  May the river run fast and smooth with no hinderance.  

• Thanks 1

Well, good news! The tornados are gone! ? (Welcome to life in tornado alley) As for flooding, so far so good. It might be a couple of days before we can go back, unless I feel like swimming. ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

, all we have in California are earthquakes

Earthquake, fires, and mudslides. No thank you, I will stick with my somewhat predictable weather. ?

3 minutes ago, Bob Leone said:

But, sliding in the mud in the middle of a fire during an earthquake is so much fun ?

? Well when you say it like that, let me get my surfboard! ?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Plus your tornadoes can be fun; haven't you seen the movie series Sharknado?

image.png.f77995a83009165b9a31d598c36b4a65.png

Edited by Bob Leone
delete pic

LOL. No, I have not, but I have some boys that think it looks "cool." ?

There are five Sharnado movies. 

They are silly, Grade B movies with famous actors making cameos.

I'll pass on all of those. We occasionally have a tornado, and we do have tornado warnings. So far no earthquakes that I know of. Certainly no sharks in our irrigation reservoirs. Mudslides require hills/mountains higher than our bluffs.

Now fires are a different matter, but no forests around here. Up north they have had grass fires.

Of course, we do have winter: snows and subzero temperatures.

I guess it's all the devil you know.

2 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

snows and subzero temperatures.

Yeah, I'm a fan of a longer garden growing season, but that's just me. ?

1 hour ago, Alley said:
1 hour ago, Bob Leone said:

, all we have in California are earthquakes

Earthquake, fires, and mudslides. No thank you, I will stick with my somewhat predictable weather. ?

Alley, I'm with you! We have had tornadoes, mostly, warnings, but they're predictable and you can take cover. Earthquakes?  Uh, no way! However, we do live where a humongous earthquake could appear again. The New Madrid fault. Where the biggest recorded quake occurred in the US. Made the river flow in the opposite direction. Praying it never happens again! o_O

And Alley, glad you're okay! :D

• Thanks 1